Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cant' shift out of Park.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Cant' shift out of Park.

I tried using the search function, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I click on it, and nothing happens, so sorry if this issue has already been covered:

I've only had my 2007 for 4 months, I put 9000+ kms on it in this time (long commute to work). So far has never given me any problems whatsoever, but two days in a row now, after I start it in the morning, I can't shift it out of Park.

I swear, I rant, I rave, I keep trying and trying. I get out of the car and rock the car back and forth (don't ask me why, just something to try . . . ), and try again.
I rev the car and CLICK! it shifted! Yeah!!!

Same scenario this morning, same brillant and highly technical trouble-shooting series of behaviour from my part, but this time the rev-ing of the engine didn't do anything. BUT!! after reving to no avail, I stomp on the brake, and CLICK! we are in Drive!!

Any idea why I'm having this problem? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 PM

It`s probably it`s the switch on the brake pedal that`s bad.
You must put on the brake to shift out of park, and the switch isn`t sending the signal.
Try starting out in neutral, I don`t think the switch is required if you`re already out of park, you should be able to go to neutral and start.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM

I had the same problem in January. Had to have it towed to the dealer. The Dealer had to replace the shifter mechansim. Luckily it was under warranty, even had a free rental due to the timing/parts delays (New Years weekend).
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
It`s probably it`s the switch on the brake pedal that`s bad.
You must put on the brake to shift out of park, and the switch isn`t sending the signal.
Try starting out in neutral, I don`t think the switch is required if you`re already out of park, you should be able to go to neutral and start.
Um, if it won't move out of "park" then how do you suggest getting it to "neutral"? Or are you suggesting that the car be left in neutral? In which case the key can not be removed from the ignition.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by guppyfry
Any idea why I'm having this problem? Thanks for your help!
I know it may seem like this may to simple of a solution, but, make sure you are applying pressure on the brake pedal before grabbing the shifter.
I sometimes catch myself trying to shift before I step on the brake pedal, and the shifter won't move until I just start from scratch again remembering the advice above.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Yep...Sorry

Originally Posted by jx3
Um, if it won't move out of "park" then how do you suggest getting it to "neutral"? Or are you suggesting that the car be left in neutral? In which case the key can not be removed from the ignition.
Yep... Sorry, I just went out, put the ign. in 'on', could move it to neutral, only after pressing on the brake, and I could hear the switch engage.
Sorry, brain fade, thinking about older cars, please forgive me...
Old 07-07-2007, 07:40 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Sorry, brain fade, thinking about older cars, please forgive me...
Happens to us all. Alls good.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 PM

I would forget to turn the key on an auto-start during the winter. and mumble to myself when the dash was not on, told myself, "self turn the key on!!!!!"
Old 07-08-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
I would forget to turn the key on an auto-start during the winter. and mumble to myself when the dash was not on, told myself, "self turn the key on!!!!!"
I have done that one a time or two. This one does sound like a bad sensor.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who did that!

Quick Reply: Cant' shift out of Park.