Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car Shakes/rough idle, CEL will not go off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Car Shakes/rough idle, CEL will not go off!

About a month ago I had my ignition recall replaced. As soon as I left the dealer, I realized my check engine light was on. I went right back but they said it was on when I came in, this was a lie. I am 100% positive it was not on but ever since then I have had endless problems.

The car began to have a rough idle as if it felt llike the car was going to stall but it does not. The idle feels as if the car is actually jerking back and forth like someone is shaking it. I brought it to a private mechanic who said codes were coming up for cam shaft sensors. I had those replaced and the light when off. Within hours the light came back on and I had the rough idle again. I have now returned to mechanic about 5 times and I have changed all sensors (cam, crank, transmission). I have put $1400 into the car and it seems ok after I leave the dealer but within a day the light comes back on and my car continues to shake!

Someone please help! I am in school and have almost depleted all of,my savings for this! The mechanic keeps saying he has changed every sensor possible and it should not be doing this. He even put a fuel,injector cleaner in saying,it might have been bad gas. It worked for two days and then the shaking continued!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Banned

It sounds like you are being taken to the cleaner.. You should change dealer, and or tell them that you have paid out for this, and there is a Warranty period for GM Dealer Installed parts/Service... Don't let them do this to you.

by the way
Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

The only way for us to try and help is if you can post up the actual code number. Ex. P0001, P0002 etc. Without the number(not just a description) we would have to take a wild internet guess.

Most auto parts stores will read your codes for free if you don't know them or don't want to return to your previous private mechanic.

Also. Posting the year, engine size and mileage would also help.

***Just speculation here but based on your statement of the cam shaft sensors, it sounds like the wrong parts were replaced.
Get back with the actual code numbers and I'll be willing to guess that it "may" point to the camshaft actuator solenoids.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Anybody check the MAF sensor plug?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

Plug on the elbow from the front/bottom of the airbox?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

x2 what they all said - post the CEL codes and we will see what advice we can offer. Until you do that anything is just a wild guess.

Also, using your email address as a member name on a forum, or posting it openly on the web is an invite to spam emails - which can make your email account useless. Contact the admin -"843de" - via a private message, and he can change it for you.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Administrator

X3 for the codes, but do check the MAF sensor connection
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Doesn't the car have camshaft sensors and solenoids? Could it be the solenoids?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhr11
Doesn't the car have camshaft sensors and solenoids? Could it be the solenoids?
Read post #3 again.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM

codes

Hi, thanks for the input, I'll def change my handle. The codes were 0010 I believe, it was the cam shaft sensor. They were replaced, however, same code kept coming up. My mechanic called the parts store and had them bring another one claiming the 1st changed one was defective. He replaced it a 2nd time and the code keeps coming up the same. We have changed crank shaft, cam shaft sensors and a transmission sensor. He's considering it might be an actual computer issue?

Quick Reply: Car Shakes/rough idle, CEL will not go off!