Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car won't start if sitting for more than 3 days.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Car won't start if sitting for more than 3 days.

As noted in another post, my HHR would not start for a second time after it had sat for 3 and 1/2 days. I want to create a separate thread for other HHR owners that are experiencing the same thing, so we could put our heads together for a solution

I took it in to the dealer and they are unable to find why it wouldn't start. They are thinking that while the car is parked one of the modules (computers) is coming on and draining the battery.

One possibility was that a RF signal is triggering a module and it is coming to life. I guess there are several mini computers in the car. The GM tech line suggested that I park the car somewhere else to see if this continues to happen The first time it happened the car was in the garage, the second time it was parked in the street about 200 feet from the garage. There are no cell towers or other broadcasting towers in the vicinity.

I was a electronic technician in the Air Force, so as far fetched as the idea is, I really can't completely dismiss it. OTOH, for what I paid for the car, I should not have to be dealing with a dead battery just because the car sat for three plus days.

Anybody got any ideas?

-JJ
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by JJ_HHR
Anybody got any ideas?
Ask the dealer for a new battery!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM

I had that issue with another vehicle. Dealer could find no drain issues and battery would show as good since I had jumped it to get it to the dealer. Went dead a couple days later and took it back and they replaced the battery and worked perfect after that.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Founding Member

Here is the only TSB on battery draws. As far as an RF signal causing a module to wake up and cause a draw on the battery, yes it has happened. A customer with a 2007 corvette kept having a recurring dead battery. A GM field engineer used a scan tool to "sweep" the customers house found a 10 year old clock/weather radio to be the culprit located in a upstairs bedroom. I don't profess to know how it did it but upon disconnecting of the radio the problem ceased. But GM ended up buying the vehicle back anyway.

Document ID# 2028549
2007 Chevrolet HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Battery Draw From The BCM 2 Fuse - keywords BCM2 click crank door drain lock no slow start #PIC4108E - (10/08/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4108D.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Reports coming into Technical Assistance Center indicate a condition for a battery draw on the above vehicles. The condition is a battery draw that can cause about 100-170 Millie amp draw on the battery. When this condition exists, you may notice that if the BCM 2 fuse in the BCM is pulled, the draw goes away. When looking at the wiring schematics you will NOT see the microprocessor (inside the BCM) that is hooked to this fuse. This Microprocessor is sending small amounts of voltage out on two circuits.

The two circuits are:
The door lock input circuit #682 (White) to the BCM could be pulled low. (DOC# 1692511) For HHR use (DOC# 1771933)
The dome lamp output circuit #149 (D-BU/WHT) to the BCM could be pulled low (DOC# 1583369) For HHR use (DOC # 1771926)
Recommendation/Instructions:
Install the Tech-2/Candi module and look at the door lock switch status in the BCM data section. Status should be reading " Idle". If it reads Unlock or Lock, then check for a possible short to ground in circuit #682 (White) or a possible door lock switch concern. If that checks out OK then remove circuit #149 from the BCM and wait to see if your draw times out in 20 minutes. If it does then check for a STG in circuit #149 (D-BU/WHT).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Your dealer ought to furnish you with a loaner and keep your HHR in their shop for 3 or 4 days just sitting there. Then if it doesn't start for them, right there and then, maybe they could pinpoint the problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Recently I visited a family member who lived where cell phone service was limited. My phone kept trying to establish a connection and killed the battery in just a few hours. I was told this was common in the neighborhood and to just turn it off. Normally I don't have to charge but twice a week. Could your cars OnStar and Cell phone be the problem? Can you use them when in the parking garage?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM

If the car is OnStar equipped, one thing it does which many folks don't know is that the car "wakes up" every 8 minutes to possibly receive commands from OnStar (i.e. remote door unlock), however it would not kill the battery like the cellphone scenario mentioned.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Interesting. My Onstar equipped '08 has been sitting in the garage in freezing temperatures for about a week now. I wonder if it will start tomorrow?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 AM

If you have a volt meter you could check to see how many amps are being drawn from the battery when the car is parked and turned off.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Interesting. My Onstar equipped '08 has been sitting in the garage in freezing temperatures for about a week now. I wonder if it will start tomorrow?
Please let us know!!!

TomR

Quick Reply: Car won't start if sitting for more than 3 days.