Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CEL with P0014 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:21 PM

CEL with P0014 Code

I have a 2009 Victory Red HHR 2LT that has about 97,000 miles. A few weeks ago the CEL came on. I went to OReilly's and they said the code was P0014. I came here to do some research and discovered a thread where the OP said their oil was at 37% and after an oil change the CEL went off. At that time I also was at 37% so i went and had the oil changed at a nearby Chevy dealer. After a few starts my CEL went off too.

Yesterday I hit a bump and then noticed the CEL was on again. Bummer. I now have a little scanner so I checked this am and again it was P0014. I came back here to do more research and to find part numbers. I was about to order from amazon when I decided to check the oil level which was fine but the CEL was off again! That was the third time I started the car today. Is it usual for it to go on and off? I have no idea if the bump in the road caused it or it was just a coincidence. Should I just go ahead and change the solenoid out now?

I assume at some point I will have to change out the solenoid probably in the middle of the winter with my luck. I found the "how to" thread by Whopper and the part on amazon with links below for my future reference. My question is Do most people change out both the exhaust and the intake at the same time or just the one that caused the code in my case the exhaust? Thanks for any input.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...a-28779/page2/

Last edited by LadyBee; 12-26-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:52 PM

Hello LadyBee!
Yes whopper has that tutorial wrapped up. I have performed this several times myself, I have owned 5 HHR's. It is very easy. I find the hardest thing is sometimes the solenoid is stuck. I use a flat blade screw driver and twist between the head casting triangle and the tab that you just removed the 10mm bolt out of on the cam solenoid. Once you get the solenoid to twisting, it wont be long now. If you are doing this task yourself, I definitely recommend only changing the one solenoid. If you are at the mercy of a mechanic, he probably charges the same price to change one as he would to change both. In that case you might want to do both. Save the good one. Also, the exhaust and intake solenoids are not interchangeable even though they look identical. Just follow whoppers tutorial and you will be fine.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what guppy said, plus yes it is common for the code to pop up and disappear, then come back. BTW, the code has nothing at all to do with the 37% oil life, and yeah sometimes the problem might be caused by dirty oil, and an oil change might help clear the code for a while, but typically it will come back.

So go ahead and change the offending solenoid, or both of them, keeping the good used one as a spare.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:13 PM

Thanks guys! I have no extra money especially at this time of year so I will be doing it myself. I just added the air filter to my amazon order too. I didn't think my Christmas gift of an amazon gift card would go towards the car LOL. I now have to decide if I want to change out both or just the one.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM

Forgot to say that the car has been running fine. No chugging, stalling, problems shifting or acceleration. The only symptom is the light.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Check the pricing at RockAuto, and we get a 5% discount!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2019-a-60583/
Old 12-28-2018, 01:38 PM

Thanks Oldblue for the rockauto link. I didn't see your post until after the amazon order had already been put in. But I realized I should also change out the spark plugs while I'm there so I ordered them through rock auto using that discount. There is also a rebate until the end of January for the acdelco iriidium plugs of $3 each so that is helpful too!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Glad you saved some cash!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM

I did mine last year and plugs. didn't really notice any difference but atleast I know I wont have that code again for a while. I also ordered a spare set sitting in my gun safe for the next time it may happen.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 PM
geg

I got a similar problem.
Some time ago, the indicator on the dashboard began to show the error P0327. I did not attach importance to this fact. But yesterday I received P0014 in addition.
I think it has to do with motor oil.
Last fall, I used the 0w-30, we have cold winters and it is troublesome to start the engine with -30C. So - this oil has significantly decreased over the winter. Unfortunately, I did not notice it in time. The engine has been starving for a while.
What I did was - I removed the exhaust solenoid. I washed it with WD40 and put it back.
Tonight I saw P0327 again.
I already ordered new solenoids, but maybe I missed something.
I will accept any advice with thanks.

Quick Reply: CEL with P0014 Code