Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Chevy HHR Engine issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 PM

OP seems to be looking for a common blown engine issue. As Snoopy said, there aren't any inherent or common issues that would cause a blown rod bearing.

A clean engine doesn't necessarily mean that the bearings were getting lubed properly. If the oil wasn't being changed regularly, then a couple of things can happen, not the least of which is excess dirt being circulated throughout the motor. Filters can deteriorate and pieces can come off and clog orifices, oil can/will get low causing low pressure which may or may not kick off the "idiot" light. All of these conditions can cause a blown rod bearing or destroy the valve train.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM

Chuck, you can believe that if you want to but, the 'OP' was more likely trolling. Otherwise 'she' would have at least stayed around to see the responses. Just like the one I mentioned in my other post...you know, the one who 'lost her eyesight' when the side air bag blew. She hasn't been back either. My niece neglected her HHR the whole time she owned it and it managed to top 100K miles. I changed her oil several times with the oil life at 0% (yes it will actually show 0%). If this turns out not to be the case with either of them, I will apologize but I've seen this sort of thing too often on this and other sites.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Chuck, you can believe that if you want to but, the 'OP' was more likely trolling. Otherwise 'she' would have at least stayed around to see the responses.
I'm not dismissing the trolling possibility, however trolls typically come back and taunt or try to argue using stupid logic. The OPs type of post is usually from someone looking for sympathy and an easy answer. They don't get that so they never come back out of embarrassment. So why did I bother? Because someone who really does need help with an issue like this may not get a real answer in their search. Not to mention I have a few relatives that will do exactly like the OP and just drive and drive, never checking fluids, tire pressure, etc, until something blows up and then cry the blues. Then they call me or my dad for help. So from where I sit the scenario is plausible.

I'm also taking it at face value because I have seen engine bearings fail and valve trains die early deaths because of lack of oil changes and/or allowing oil levels to go too low. I have also seen oil filters break apart and clog things up and cause an engine to lose proper lubrication, again causing early demise (don't get me started on Fram oil filters ).
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM

I'd buy that if it weren't a year later. I'm the one in my family that everyone calls when their vehicle breaks. Adrienne (my niece) treated an HHR as badly as I've ever seen one treated and it lasted over 100K miles. Ecotecs are pretty tough. Oh and no Fram here either.....nuff said on that.