Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clicking from Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Clicking from Shifter

Every time i hit the brake in park or in gear i get a clicking sound that is now driving me nuts. It seems to be the exact same problem that happens with the key sticking but failing the other possible way. Now i don't have remote start, and my doors don't automatically lock when put in gear, plus it too late on sat to get to the dealership.

Thanks for letting me vent, and i actually just thought to go and check the fuses.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM

I had a similar problem with my Colorado. I had the battery unhooked to put the stock radio back in and the problem came up after that. I was told it was in the body control module (bcm) and to wait it out. The nexy day it was fine and did not come back.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 PM

this is a normal sound because you have to hit the brake to shift the car . what you are hearing it the shifter lock unlocking ..
i my gm cars do the same thing .. 2004 chevy truck ,2003 CAVALIER, 2002 chevy impala ,2005 chevy COLORADO. they all do the same thing
Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Ok now its good, it went away. I went through the fuse boxes and checked every fuse with my multi meter, then it sat for a few hours. Now the remote start works, and it only clicks when i hit the rake in park like it did before.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 PM

i heard a clicking sound everytime i depressed the brake pedal on a 1998 chevy astro van we had at work. We phoned the Gm dealer and was told that was normal...its related to the abs braking system. Odd tho...driven tons of abs equipped vehicles and none ever made that clicking sound.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 AM

yea i've heard that clicking sound too. was very curious for a while, but now am just used to it that i don't hear it/pay attention any more. heard it on some of my chevy cars that i had b4 too so i guess it a normal thing
Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 AM

I never heard it before when driving, but the biggest thing was that the door locks weren't working when i put it in gear, and the remote start wasn't working. I just wasn't sure that it wouldn't completely fail and leave me stranded.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM

I had the same problem exactly not too long after I got my HHR, i went through all the fuses and made sure they were appropriately seated and this cured the problem.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM

I have the same problem on mine sometimes. When it happens, the doors will not lock or unlock automatically when putting in gear or in park. But the weirdest thing is the transmissions shifts HARD. I mean it shifts like the old MOPAR Torqueflites used to shift in the 70's. If it sits a few hours, it all goes away and it is fine. I will have the dealer check it out.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by chooch
i heard a clicking sound everytime i depressed the brake pedal on a 1998 chevy astro van we had at work. We phoned the Gm dealer and was told that was normal...its related to the abs braking system. Odd tho...driven tons of abs equipped vehicles and none ever made that clicking sound.
The dealer was wrong on the noise being related to ABS. As dandhcomputers stated it is the Shift Lock Control Solenoid activating so that the shifter will release.

Quick Reply: Clicking from Shifter