Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dead Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 AM

http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodu...or/alt101.html

What/How alternators work....there will be a test
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for posting that very detailed description of how alternators work. That should answer any querstions anyone has re: how they work and what they do.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Battery Drain

I took my 08 SS in for service before it rolled over the 36.000 mile warranty. I asked them to check the battery because I had to charge it several times recently after it was not driven for several weeks. The battery checked out ok, but something was draining the battery. They found the cause but said it wasn't covered under warranty. The dealer where I purchased the SS preinstall’s security devices on their vehicles, like Lojack, and then tries to sell it to customers. I didn't purchase it and the dealer removed the chip from the devise. The devise is what is draining the battery. I was told that even though the dealer installed this device it is not covered under warranty. I was surprised because most dealers have these devices installed on their vehicles. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Nope, but something smells fishy..
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Nope, but something smells fishy..
Sleeper, that’s what I think. I told them to leave the security device in if I had to pay to have it removed ($100). I am going to pick up the SS this morning and will talk to the manager about this practice. If GM allows their deals to install these security devices on new vehicles then I think they should be covered.
The nice thing though I got to drive a brand new Camaro home as they had to keep the SS overnight.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dartanian
Haha. I just found this online after I made the above post:

To charge your car battery while driving, you must be running the RPMs at or above 1000. If the battery is completely drained, it takes approximately 30 minutes to provide a sufficient charge to restart the car when turned off. An hour of driving with a good alternator and lights, air, and radio off fully recharges your battery.
Source:
edmunds
thanks for the info..........

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 01-28-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by dkessman
I was told that even though the dealer installed this device it is not covered under warranty. I was surprised because most dealers have these devices installed on their vehicles. Anyone else have this happen to them?
It's not covered by Chevy and here in N. Texas I don't know of any dealers that install them. This stopped in the 90's when we were towing cars in left and right and found the security mod was the fault.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dkessman
Sleeper, that’s what I think. I told them to leave the security device in if I had to pay to have it removed ($100). I am going to pick up the SS this morning and will talk to the manager about this practice. If GM allows their deals to install these security devices on new vehicles then I think they should be covered.
The nice thing though I got to drive a brand new Camaro home as they had to keep the SS overnight.
Can you go back to the dealer that installed it and push them to make the repair? IMO, they should be the ones footing the bill to fix this.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

If the battery is beiing slowly drained by the LoJack sysytem, why not find the "hot" wire and disconnect it.....if that can be done???

Oh, and I doubt GM "allows" these systems to be installed. It is more a matter of the dealer taking the chance for additional sale income. It's much like any install, that is NOT a GM part, wheels, tires, radios, special paint, aftermarket packages. The Dealer, who is independent of GM LLC, "warranties" the items and installation.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
If the battery is beiing slowly drained by the LoJack sysytem, why not find the "hot" wire and disconnect it.....if that can be done???

Oh, and I doubt GM "allows" these systems to be installed. It is more a matter of the dealer taking the chance for additional sale income. It's much like any install, that is NOT a GM part, wheels, tires, radios, special paint, aftermarket packages. The Dealer, who is independent of GM LLC, "warranties" the items and installation.
It would not be GM warranting the job, it would be the "installer/contracter/contractor" (the Dealership), but definitely NOT the purchaser of non-contracted work. In other words get up in the dealer's face and demand that they fix it since it was their mess. I would assume that LoJack systems have a anti-theft/anti-tamper mechanism, meaning once installed, you may have to burn the wiring harness and computer, then buy another car in order to uninstall it.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Question