Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Downshifting 3rd to 2nd getting "iffy"

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Downshifting 3rd to 2nd getting "iffy"

I own a 2007 HHR LS with 47,000 miles on the odometer. It has the Getrag 5 speed transmission, which I thoroughly enjoy. Within the last couple of months, I am getting grinding of gears when I downshift into 2nd gear - maybe 1 out of 10 times. I cannot determine if it happens under specific conditions, such as slowing down quickly in 4th gear and bypassing 3rd, or if I am attempting to move the shift lever into 2nd without having fully depressed the clutch pedal.
Someone other than me put most of the mileage on my HHR (ex-spouse) and I wonder if her driving style may worn the clutch excessively or maybe the springs in the pressure plate are weak - just guessing.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem with their stick shift HHR? There is no clutch slippage at all and it still is one of the easiest standard transmissions to operate.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Hey there. 2008 5 speed getrag Shadow Edition here.My question is, are you trying to "gear jam" as if to race someone, or just normal driving?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

My 06 is knocking on 63K miles and the clutch works the same as when it was new.

Wifey a bad stick driver?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM

You need to blip and rev-match-see if that helps. Or, your clutch may be wearing, bleed it and see if that helps... otherwise, its a good chance to upgrade. lol You could even have bleed-by in the slave cylinder. Pump it numerous times and try then. If that helps, that's what going on
Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM

my huble opinion

I don't have a clue about what is causing your shifting problem.

I enjoy a manual transmission and insist that all my vehicles come so equipped. However, I would never call the Getrag 5-speed easy. It often requires two tries to get into first gear from a stop, and that is considered to be normal behavior. The throws are too long - it begs for the short shifter and weighted shift knob. I drive my Honda S2000 if I want to experience how well a manual transmission can behave!

Um...humble...oops!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nacademus
You need to blip and rev-match-see if that helps. Or, your clutch may be wearing, bleed it and see if that helps... otherwise, its a good chance to upgrade. lol You could even have bleed-by in the slave cylinder. Pump it numerous times and try then. If that helps, that's what going on
I agree about trying the "blip the throttle to rev-match" the gears..It's also easier on the synchros. (worn synchros).. Which could also be the problem..

Worn clutch should have no effect in down-shifting. Accelerating yes.
Partially collapsed pressure plate, Yes. But would also be hard to get in gear from dead stop.

slave cylinder bleed-by yes, but that would also likely make it hard to get in gear from a dead-stop.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I would have to agree with sleeper... Not likely a clutch problem as it only happens with 2nd gear. It could definitely be an issue with the syncros in the trans, but may not be a big issue if it is only intermittant. Most of the manual cars I have owned would do what you describe from time to time.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Bad synchros at 47,000 miles indicate abuse. I do not assume that the OP cannot operate the vehicle correctly. If the pressure plate isn't disengaging fully, it will not shift easily-hence the grinding. If he can go from neutral to first at a stop without issue, then the pressure plate is fine-keep in mind however, that the Getrag is a clunky transmission and may need some persuasion (maybe a little pumping or gentle rolling on a grade). I also feel that the shifter may be an inferior design in general on our vehicles... after all, we have rubber mounts in the shifter, whereas a more precise and positive affect can be seen using Saab solids.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 PM

My guess would be worn syncro's in second gear. With only 47K on the clock, thats really premature for syncro wear, unless it had been abused, or driven by someone that is not really good at driving a manual transmission. As far as the Getrag 5 speed being easy or difficult, I rate it easy, but its all relative. Compared to say a 49 Plymouth its a very easy transmission to drive. Yes, I agree it is sometimes a little cranky about going into first, but its not that big a deal, at least for me.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

kornellred-

Downshifting from 4th to 2nd does put much more strain on the synchros. Trying to skip a gear. Especially at speed.

Anyhow, at a dead stop. Can you easily put it into 1st gear & not have the vehicle want to pull slightly ??

That is the question, imo..

Laco- I can relate to the 49 Plymouth. For me it was a 48 Ford F-6 no synchros at all... You either learned to rhythum shift, or it didn't go..
Oh yea & double clutching helped too..

Quick Reply: Downshifting 3rd to 2nd getting "iffy"