Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driver door lockout

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Driver door lockout

I have a 2009 HHR PANEL. I stopped using the fob they weren't reliable and the only advantage over the key I could see was the alarm. I've declared that as useless as all 3 breaking were machinist lunch to a window. No door open no alarm. >_<

Last week I got locked out when The only keyhole refused to turn. AAA got me in and I tested it many times. Everything was fine for 5 days when it happened again. This time after he jimmied the passenger door, I reached over to the drivers side and found the knob was impossible to oil up. I hit the door unlock button. It released and the key now works again .

I believe this is the electric actuator is sticking. My question. Is if I merely disconnect that solenoid will the rest of the doors still lock by the button?

I had a 63 Chevy II that we always said had idiot proof doors as the drivers side required the key in your hand as it could only be locked that way

Any advice will be appreciated.

Ralph
Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Why can't you just leave the drivers door unlocked? It is not programmed to automatically lock when you close it.

Or, gasp, fix the actuator after making sure that is the problem. Grease may be the fix.

You might send a PrivateMessage to hellshotrod about a used one.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Not Sirius
the only advantage over the key I could see was the alarm. I've declared that as useless as all 3 breaking were machinist lunch to a window. No door open no alarm. >_<

I have no idea what you meant to say, this looks like jibberish.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Remote FOBs are integral to the HHR, the way it was designed. Yes they have had problems, battery cages , keypads and such , but all fairly easy to repair.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 AM

My apologies for not proofing.

I meant to say that from my perspective the only advantage was arming the alarm system. However every time I have been broken into, they did not open any door therefore it never went off anyway. They used a common Machinist's punch to shatter the window all 3 times. I normally use the interior buttons .to open the sides so the FOB became just one more thing to carry. Just leaving the car unlocked is not an option.

Last edited by Not Sirius; 03-26-2019 at 02:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2019, 02:28 AM

The FOB's may be integral but they are expensive to get reprogrammed. I lost track of how many times I've had to re-solder these little buggers, refresh the keypads or used Bondic to rebuild the case.. I was very surprised that there is only 1 keyhole too.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Technical Moderator

In the 21st century there is a less expensive option for programming fobs. Any place that sells Dorman can get the kit with fob and programming module; but it programs Genuine fobs too.

Member hellshotrod has a flock of HHRs he is parting out. He might be able to give you a good price on the latch. Send him a PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Sweetie’s ‘18 Terrain, doesn’t have a keyhole in any of the doors.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Sweetie’s ‘18 Terrain, doesn’t have a keyhole in any of the doors.
Not a real one as we all remember them anyway. It's hidden in the door button.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quick Reply: Driver door lockout