Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ecotec oil filters observation part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 PM

Ecotec oil filters observation part II

I am using some public domain photos here (one of Goose's and another) to illustrate an observation about oil filters for the ecotec:

(arrow graphics added by me)

Red arrows point point to filter openings on two different design approaches: the two filters on right have smaller diameter openings.

Blue arrow (on Goose's pic) points to the corresponding fitment in the filter housing for the filter openings to fit up to. The Carquest (Wix) and Delco look like they would fit the outer raised sealing ridge of the fitment in the housing very closely by diameter match-up to a series of sealing ridges (green arrows).

The Supertech and Fram have two sets of raised ridges on the filter base: One along the outter edge of the base and one along the diameter edge of the opening in the base (cyan arrows)-- these appear to be there to compensate for the wider diameter, i.e. seal to the floor of the filter housing instead of the raised metal ridge on the fitment protruding out of floor of the filter housing (blue arrow).

Very likely both designs seal equally efficient. Interesting to observe the two different engineering approaches, though.

This assumes a sealing action is intended for the bottom filter opening for function of the installed filter, which it appears to be.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Nice comparison LR. Which of those has the most filter paper? I am using Wix and the ones I have bought have been marked "Made in Korea"...if that matters.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by HonestBlues
Nice comparison LR. Which of those has the most filter paper? I am using Wix and the ones I have bought have been marked "Made in Korea"...if that matters.
Don't know on the filter paper content. The photos are not by me.

Credit for this comparison goes to Goose and to JTK over on BITOG due to their public photo postings. It would not be illustratable with them.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 PM

So what doe`s everyone think is the best filter?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
So what doe`s everyone think is the best filter?
Sound of can of worms opening...you will get about as many favorites as there are members. I like Wix myself...based on some opinions of others on line and people I have asked locally.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 PM

I have used all of the except for the Wix....Fram in there now...the only thing I noticed different between them was that the Delco was all wavy when I changed it out a 1100 miles and both the Fram and ST clip in "looser" to the cap...well not looser but more play.

I'm going to go back to the Delco next change

Glad that photo could be put to good use LR

Goose
Old 07-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I never refunded the Purolator I bought. Believe it has the larger diameter bottom opening like the Fram and Supertech. I may place each filter (the Delco and the Purolator) in the compartment without the lid installed and try to observe how each mates up to the bottom of the compartment.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Do you think $58 for a case of 12 delco filters is a good price? If they`re a decent filter it`s worht it compared to the $10 price for a Fram at K-Mart.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Do you think $58 for a case of 12 delco filters is a good price? If they`re a decent filter it`s worht it compared to the $10 price for a Fram at K-Mart.
That's a good price for an OEM oil filter.

It costs me $12.10 CDN + tax for ONE AC Delco oil filter for my HHR. Not much cheaper for me to get a Fram or a Wix.
If I could get it at the "jobbers" rate, it would only be $6 for the OEM (made that discovery when I supplied my own oil at the dealership - filter is $6 with their oil, $12 with my oil ) .
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Frams for me at Walmart are 5.57, the Supertech is 5.42 (same exact filter it appears) and the Purolaters are something like 5.88 and 8 something for the Pure One. On dealer quoted me 6.50 for the PF457G but those prices vary from dealer to dealer it seems. I'm going to go to a Saturn Dealer tonight and see what the price is.

Goose

Quick Reply: Ecotec oil filters observation part II