Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Ecotec oil filters observation part II (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/ecotec-oil-filters-observation-part-ii-9118/)

Black Rose 07-24-2007 11:49 AM

The Fram here is $9.47. We can't get Supertech or Purolator filters here in Canada, the land that the oil filter companies forgot :(

I can order from the US, but by the time the shipping charges are added, I may as well go with the local retailers.

Dan's HHR 07-24-2007 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose (Post 175063)
The Fram here is $9.47. We can't get Supertech or Purolator filters here in Canada, the land that the oil filter companies forgot .

here in Quebec city at my local Wal-Mart a Fram cost 9.91$ i got mine from my dealer for the cost so it's about 8.00$ during my next trip to USA i'll check at Wal-Mart to buy a couple of those Fram for 5.57$ i'll save some $$ with our money who has gained value :thumb:

Goose 07-24-2007 07:45 PM

I bought the OEM filter at Saturn of Nashua today for 5.90. Cheaper than the Chevy dealer. I got to say I'm pretty impressed with the construction of this filter. All pleats very straight and uniform and looks well made.

The inside of the filter is much more open than the Fram or ST...much more media is exposed

Goose

Lone Ranger 07-24-2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 175283)
The inside of the filter is much more open than the Fram or ST...much more media is exposed

Goose

Except the hole in the end is smaller. :poke:

Black Rose 07-24-2007 10:49 PM

Looking at the pics you had posted it's really hard to tell if it really is an issue.

Given the number of Ecotecs on the road using the OEM filter, I doubt GM would authorize the use of a filter that would restrict oil circulation.

Dave C 07-25-2007 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rose (Post 175380)
Looking at the pics you had posted it's really hard to tell if it really is an issue.

Given the number of Ecotecs on the road using the OEM filter, I doubt GM would authorize the use of a filter that would restrict oil circulation.

GM doesn't "authorize" any filter but OEM. IF you have an engine failure caused by a bad aftermarket oil filter you will be fighting with the aftermarket filter manufacture to pay for your engine. :(

I can't belive people are trying to save nickles and dimes on filters and paying double for synthetic oil. :confused:

Black Rose 07-25-2007 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dave C (Post 175414)
GM doesn't "authorize" any filter but OEM. IF you have an engine failure caused by a bad aftermarket oil filter you will be fighting with the aftermarket filter manufacture to pay for your engine. :(

The OEM filter is one of the filters that is being questioned as to whether there is an oil restriction issue.

Goose 07-25-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dave C (Post 175414)

That is not true at all...

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. No issue at all using something other than the PF457G

Goose

Lone Ranger 07-25-2007 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose (Post 175488)
The OEM filter is one of the filters that is being questioned as to whether there is an oil restriction issue.

Yay! Someone remembered my other filter thread :D

solman98 07-25-2007 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 175548)
That is not true at all...

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. No issue at all using something other than the PF457G

Goose

If I had to use OEM filters on my entire fleet, my cost per mile would kill me. :lol:

Plus we are mandated by the government to use small business. So we use what they use. We have had no warranty issues with filters that I know of.