Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electric cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Electric cooling fan

Hello friends.I have a 2007 HHR2LT 2.4. The AC in this car does not blow cold air until the motor warms up.As soon as you drive it for 10 minutes the AC blows ice cold air.Before driving it today I turned the AC on and confirmed the electric fan is not turning on but after driving it for a while and again turning the AC on the fan is working and the air is blowing ice cold.I have checked all fuses and relays associated with the fan but all appear to be fine.What could cause this? A faulty switch? TIA for your assistance.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM

When you say electric fan, are you referring to the HVAC blower fan or the engine electric fan?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM

Sorry yeah the engine fan.I am guessing the car is turning the fan on when it is supposed to for cooling but the AC is not.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Also. If they car is slow to warm up (bad thermostat) you could have a CEL code that is disabling the AC.
With a cold start, turn on the AC and see if the AC compressor is engaging when the fan is not.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Yes the compressor is engaging on startup.I have used my code reader and gotten no hits.:)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Vinnybagodoughnuts
Sorry yeah the engine fan.I am guessing the car is turning the fan on when it is supposed to for cooling but the AC is not.
With engine cold, check the belt tension on the compressor, if the belt is to loose, it's probably slipping causing the compressor to not function correctly. After heat causes belt & pulleys to expand just enough, slippage stops & you have ice cold air.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 AM

The AC works the moment the fan kicks on.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Technical Moderator

I am really confused now! What fan is ON what fan is OFF?

If the A/C compressor is turned on the radiator fan is supposed to be on. The A/C will not operate unless the circulator fan is turned on.

The A/C compressor will not run if the coolant temp is not at 180F within a couple of minutes of a cold start.

When you say "not blowing cold air" do you mean it IS blowing, but not cold?

Is this new behavior?

Have you had the A/C serviced?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:19 PM

Me too Don.lolThe blower motor works fine. The electric cooling fan under the hood does not come on at startup when AC is turned on.The AC blows warm air. After driving the car for about ten to fifteen minutes the AC blows cold air;when I opened the hood the cooling fan is then running. My impression is the fan is turning on from the cars heat sensor but not by switching on the compressor.Does it have to be the relay or is there another switch/sensor? I have checked freon levels and they are perfect.I just purchased the car but it was 40 degrees out and couldn't test the AC.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Technical Moderator

The radiator fan does not get triggered until 219F, when the A/C is not on. There may be a problem there.

Relay #15 & fuse #22 seem to be the relevant bits.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Electric cooling fan