Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Check Light Comes On??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Engine Check Light Comes On??

Was visiting on Christmas Eve, 08 2LT HHR engine check light comes on when I go out and start it up to leave, just comes on out of the blue. I have no mods. Also the remote start has stopped working. Otherwise the car is running perfectly.

Have an appointment with the Dealer on Friday, hope it's nothing serious. I thought I got one of the good ones, now it's making me wonder about that.'

TomR
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Did you go to a different gas station to fill up? Did you let it get down close to totally empty?

Sometimes those two things can cause the Check Engine Light to come on when the car is fairly new. My did that and I took it to Auto Zone to read the codes which makes the Check Engine Light go off. They said it was an oxygen sensor problem. Then I read on here to try to use the same gas station all the time. I followed that advise and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM

You don't get monthly e-mail alerts from your car? When the check engine light is on use onstar, they should be able to see what it is, if it's something serious or not, just an idea
Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Did you go to a different gas station to fill up? Did you let it get down close to totally empty?

Sometimes those two things can cause the Check Engine Light to come on when the car is fairly new. My did that and I took it to Auto Zone to read the codes which makes the Check Engine Light go off. They said it was an oxygen sensor problem. Then I read on here to try to use the same gas station all the time. I followed that advise and haven't had a problem since.
Now that you mention it, my gas tank was down to just above the reserve at that time. Hope it's something that simple, I'll let you know tomorrow after the trip to the Dealer.
I am thinking about getting a code reader.

Thanks for the info.
TomR
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM

I'd just go to Auto Zone like SandyBeach said. It only takes a couple minutes. I don't think you'll use it enough to make it worthwhile, at least I hope not.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
I'd just go to Auto Zone like SandyBeach said. It only takes a couple minutes. I don't think you'll use it enough to make it worthwhile, at least I hope not.
Yes that is probably true, Thanks. However my nearest AutoZone is 30 minutes away.

Just got back from the Dealer, they checked the code indicated a vacuum leak, they did a smoke check on the fuel tank and other vacuum lines. Said they couldn't find anything leaking. Probably the fuel tank cap was not on tight enough. Also they couldn't find anything wrong with the Remote Start system??? Its all working OK now.

Oh well I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Thanks all for their suggestions and help.

TomR
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Please note the remote start function is disabled by design anytime the check engine light is active.

Regards,

HHRANDY
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by HHRANDY
Please note the remote start function is disabled by design anytime the check engine light is active.

Regards,

HHRANDY
Thanks for that info, Randy. You would think the dealer would have told me that when I had it in for service.

But here we go again.... after installing my hitch today, then taking a drive with the trailer hooked up to see how it feels, (couldn't even tell it was back there).... When I came back and unhooked and started the car up again the Check Engine Light came back on AGAIN. That's just great... guess it's another trip back to the dealer!!!

TomR
Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 PM

sooooooooooooooooooo just leave the hitch on then

j/k!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
jx3

Heigh ho, heigh ho

It's of to the dealer I go.

The check engine light on Dory just lit up today.

Over 300 miles on the tank of gas so that lets out the possiblity of the gas cap being loose. And no fill ups out of the ordinary in the last 3,000 miles.
I did notice that the rpms seem down by about 200 hundred revs, and also the shut off does not sound very smooth either. After turning off the key, the engine stays on for a few seconds and then finally it makes a clicking sound.

Would this be indicative of a bad injector?

Oh well, been meaning to stop by the dealer to get one of my remotes fixed anyhow.

Quick Reply: Engine Check Light Comes On??