Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

"Engine Disabled" & "Eng Pwr Reduced"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Found this info online:

For non-sealed batteries, check both the specific gravity in each cell with a external hydrometer AND the battery terminal voltage with a digital voltmeter without the engine running. For sealed batteries, measuring the battery's voltage without the engine running with an accurate digital voltmeter is the only way you can determine the state-of-charge. Some batteries have a built-in hydrometer which only measures the state-of-charge in ONE of it's six cells. If the indicator is clear or light yellow, then the battery has a low electrolyte level and should be refilled before proceeding, or if sealed, the battery should be replaced.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 AM

Be prepared for the Engine Power Reduced message to appear again even after the battery replacement.

I experienced the message myself back in April. I started my car and got the message along with the sputtering engine. I let my car sit while I steamed inside, and went out to start it again a few hours later. It started fine but the check engine light was on.

I took it into the dealership the next day. At the end of the day, they called me and told me that my battery was defective and that they had replaced it. I picked up my car and drove home.

I wanted to wash my car when I got home so I went outside to move it closer to the hose. Guess what? "Eng Pwr Reduced". Not 30 minutes after leaving the dealership with my shiny new battery do I get the message again.

To make a long story short, my car has been in the shop no fewer than four more times for this issue after the battery was replaced. The dealership has never been able to get it to repeat, and they can find no evidence of it ever happening when they hook up diagnostic tools to the car. They'd gone so far as to offer to hook up a recorder that I could turn on and off when the message reappeared so they'd have a better idea of what was happening.

Luckily, it never came to that. The message has not reappeared for several months now and the car has been running fine ever since.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM

The battery recall that was mentioned shouldn't affect the HHR batteries. That recall sounds like it's for a side-post battery, and the battery used in the HHR/Cobalt/G5 is a top-post, since it's in the rear of the car.

Dead cells will cause weird things to happen, though, I know this from experience. In an older car I had a while back, a battery with a dead cell eventually killed part of the alternator's voltage regulator, and I wound up with some severe overcharging when I replaced the bad battery.

As far as finding out about a dead cell, the newer test equipment used by most shops can detect a dead cell by using radio frequency technology in addition to a load test. This is a necessity since, as has been stated, new batteries are sealed.

I guess I must have gotten mine at the right time, I'm close to 17 thou with no significant problems at all. :)
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM

Wow lopper... sorry to hear that it has happened several times for you! I'm glad that all is well now. "Knock on wood".. that I don't go through that same experience!!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 PM

Update... I called Roadside Assistance to check on my claim. ($60 for towing overage and $60 cabfare for a passenger friend that had to be sent home; $120 total). Well, the rep told me they approved the $60 for the towing overage because it was vehicle related, but the cabfare was not approved. I mentioned that this incident should never have happened, so I should not have had ANY out of pocket expenses but she just apologized and said it doesn't fall under the guidelines of what they will reimburse. Well, at least I have $60 coming back to me... So I suppose we must never have additional people in the vehicle if we're far away from home because how they get home, should the vehicle get towed, will be on us... go figure.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Glad something went your way
Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 PM

next time you have to file a claim list it as 120.00 for road side asst.(towing) You have to file for what they will pay. It's your money they are giving you back. If they don't want to pay then find another company to do buissness with. They will change there mind.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 AM

I would have filed the $120 for towing, but they require documentation (credit card statement) proving the amount that came out of my pocket. I supplied that, plus the cabfare receipt, but it was a "no-go" for the cabfare portion of the claim. They sent a letter saying they wouldn't cover the "rental", which it wasn't... DUH!.. so I called and the rep said "rental/cabfare".. would not be covered.... Oh well, half is better than nothing!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 PM

i had a very similiar probelm with my hhr...battery went dead and after i was jump started i could only start the car from the remote but once i put the key in it would die...the fuel pump and starter were disabled..i was stranded on labor day weekend in the woods cause i went camping lol....hillybilly tow truck driver tried all he could to get it to work...this was on sat i didnt get it towed till tueday to a dealer..then ended up replaceing the battery and then had to reporgram the key...crazy
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Wow, well at least you were having fun camping! They didn't reprogram my key when my incident happened. I thought they would, so I brought the spare key fob in just in case they needed to re-do that also.

Quick Reply: "Engine Disabled" & "Eng Pwr Reduced"