Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Angry Engine light

I am in desperate need of help! My engine light keeps coming on in my 2006 HHR--the code is for "Knock Sensor", which I had replaced last week--light is back on-same code...was told it was a "broken wire in the harness and was now all fixed and ready to go." NOT!!! Picked up the car at 5:30 this afternoon after 2 weeks back and forth to the shop and guess what...2 hours later the light is back on! Took it by advanced auto and they ran the code and again it is the knock sensor code--they cleared the light and it came right back on! I am so fed up with this piece of crap car! Does anyone know what else could be going on or have any suggestions (besides getting a new mechanic--I am already working on that one!). Thanks for any help!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 AM

Fuel? do you use the same station regularly, we've got a station here that I avoid like the plague because I had used them from time to time when my regular was busier than my comfort and a year ago I had that happen on the bike. Shrtly after the bike produced a nice miss somewhat randomly. When I took it in that same day I was told that I was running fuel that wasn't kosher. Thought ahh, it happens but this haapened again about a month later, same scenario and same results. Just a suggestion, though, I wish I was an expert it'd save me alot of money
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Sleeper, Seriously???? Do you even read the threads or do you post things just for the heck of it??? Who's BLAMING anyone?? How can it be the mechanics fault when the car didn't go to him until the light came on in the first place?? If you don't have anything intelligent to add, how about keeping your opinions to yourself?!?! What a freaking idiot!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by chattycatty
Sleeper, Seriously???? Do you even read the threads or do you post things just for the heck of it??? Who's BLAMING anyone?? How can it be the mechanics fault when the car didn't go to him until the light came on in the first place?? If you don't have anything intelligent to add, how about keeping your opinions to yourself?!?! What a freaking idiot!
Hey I'm a new guy but allow me to call how I see it.

Sleeper is a valued member that has been around.

So by your second post, you just told a respectable member that's he's an idiot.

Finally, I agree with Sleeper. Sounds like your mechanic didn't do something right when you took it in "for the first time".
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

chattycatty-

Have a wonderful life..& Please re-read your original post

Last edited by sleeper; 07-31-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta agree with Sleeper and Gas Man. I read the 1st post again and saw the part about looking for a new mechanic. He was on the defense from the start or would not have mentioned it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM

The error code just tells you that the knock sensor is sensing a knock. A mechanic has to decide if there is a knock or if the sensor is malfunctioning. You can get an internal knock from low octane fuel, piston slap, leaking injector, spark plug, coil pack, timing chain or gears. Anything that's loose or rattling on the outside can also cause it. I've seen a loose bolt on an alternator and a bad AC compressor set a knock code. A wiring problem could also cause it.

If you have 1/2 tank of fuel or less, fill it with premium gas without alcohol. If your tank is full, you could try some additive.

A mechanic should have a stethescope to listen for any abnormal engine noise.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Don06
The error code just tells you that the knock sensor is sensing a knock. A mechanic has to decide if there is a knock or if the sensor is malfunctioning. You can get an internal knock from low octane fuel, piston slap, leaking injector, spark plug, coil pack, timing chain or gears. Anything that's loose or rattling on the outside can also cause it. I've seen a loose bolt on an alternator and a bad AC compressor set a knock code. A wiring problem could also cause it.

If you have 1/2 tank of fuel or less, fill it with premium gas without alcohol. If your tank is full, you could try some additive.

A mechanic should have a stethescope to listen for any abnormal engine noise.
Sorry, but a DTC regarding the knock sensor has NOTHIHG to do with sensing knock. It can only be triggered by a faulty sensor or wiring issues. If the OP replaced the sensor, then the problem has to do with wiring issues that the dealer didn't properly nail down and find.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Having a similar problem as Chatty. I have a 2006 HHR with the 2.4L. I replaced the knock sensor myself with a dealer sensor back on July 4. Now, mid Nov, the check engine light is back on with the same P0327 code I got back the first time. I have jumped around with the octane (regular and mid grade) at times to see if gas milage improves (drive 53 miles one way to work). Is there a known problem with these sensors? I am a bit frustrated to say the least. Any knowledgable help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CobraPC415; 11-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Founding Member

As JoeR stated months ago, the problem is in the harness. Follow it and look for areas that might chafe the harness, such as brackets.

Quick Reply: Engine light