Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine R & R

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 AM

Engine R & R

Well, it's time to do the actual engine replacement after having HHR #1 sitting in the barn for a year.

I have searched the threads and found a few people that pulled the engine out the top. I have the factory service manual, but it only shows removing the engine out the bottom.

According to them, you remove the transmission mounts and pull the engine/trans up at an angle until you can separate the engine from the trans.

They also said you need to remove the alternator and AC compressor for more room. One of them also said he would have removed the exhaust (and maybe intake) manifold to make it a lot easier. I plan on removing the alternator, AC comp, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. the manifolds should be pretty easy to take off and on.

I am all set to do this but have a question that I have not found an answer to. To tilt the engine/trans up far enough, do I need to remove the half-shafts? If so, do they need to pulled out of the trans or can I just free up the ends at the wheels?

Thanks for the help.
Steve
Old 09-19-2016, 08:35 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't know about that, but there is a bracket between the (automatic) trans and the engine that needs to be removed.

Last edited by donbrew; 09-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

pull it out the bottom crattle motor and trany ,the easiest way best, check the ex manifold also its gonna have a crack more times then not ,best to do the surp belt also , change the thermostat , also i cut the heater hoses at the fire wall as the tubes are aluminum and the hoses weld them selfs on and if u use to much force u get a leak inside the car , its a easy r and r, iv done maybe 20+ motors or tranys now and have a system that works for me , pm me if u need info ,,, good luck dave
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
pull it out the bottom crattle motor and trany ,the easiest way best, check the ex manifold also its gonna have a crack more times then not ,best to do the surp belt also , change the thermostat , also i cut the heater hoses at the fire wall as the tubes are aluminum and the hoses weld them selfs on and if u use to much force u get a leak inside the car , its a easy r and r, iv done maybe 20+ motors or tranys now and have a system that works for me , pm me if u need info ,,, good luck dave
I am about to do an engine r&r within the next month. I'll be doing it on an '07 HHR LT 2.2L. It is really better to do it through the bottom?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Administrator

The way it's designed, out the bottom attached to the sub-frame and transmission