Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

erratic steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 04:27 PM

erratic steering

So back in February it was icy and I was making a turn within the neighborhood and slid into a curb at a slower speed on the driver side front tire. Ever since the steering has been erratic, but not always. It is a jerky or sliding feeling of the car floating over the road pulling right and then left, and vice versa. When the road is dry and smooth it doesn't seem as bad and can go away altogether but when it is wet or rough it can get pretty bad. The rim doesn't look bent, I've replaced the control arms and sway bars recently. I thought it might be the tie rods but when I went to take them off they seemed pretty solid and no play on the outer or inner. I saw that the bolt was sheered off on the intermediate shaft and thoght that might be the culprit but after replacing it (the shaft not just the bolt) the problem persists. My thoughts were that it may be a bent strut, wheel bearing/bent hub or just that the alignment was off. The tires show excessive wear on the front (new tires) but no wear pattern alluding to alignment but probably from the jerking back and forth seeing that it's even on both tires. Should I start with getting an alignment or how can I troubleshoot this further?
Old 06-21-2021, 04:45 PM

What's the air pressure in the tires?
Old 06-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Exactly what wear pattern on the front tires? I bet it is outside wear (toe in). Inside wear (toe out) Inside wear with bumps would indicate hubs. Center wear (over inflated). Both edges (under inflated

Is there some reason not to go to an alignment; obviously something is broken/bent/misaligned, not to mention all of those new parts?

If the tire pressure is too high steering can act funny.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Are the steering rack bolts torqued correctly? Are the engine cradle bolts torqued correctly?
after an impact with the curb , all suspension fasteners are suspect as they will stretch and possibly fail!
you replaced the LCA’s , but also suspect the struts, are the strut to knuckle bolts torqued correctly?

I suggest checking those yourself then take it to a reputable front end shop, for an alignment
Old 06-21-2021, 06:21 PM

The parts that were replaced were all covered under warranty from the local auto parts store so they didn't cost anything, I just noticed they needed replacing when I was doing my timing chain. The tires are a month old and have proper inflation and this problem has been before the tires were replaced. The last time I had an alignment I watched everything get torqued property after replacing the rack and pinion. The wear on the tires is even across the tire, not the edges or center. Just thought I'd get an opinion before I actually spent any money on new parts. I'll start with taking it to an alignment shop.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:48 PM

Every single time I have my car serviced(mechanic, tires, body shop, etc.) it is returned to me with over inflated tires.

So... What do you consider "proper inflation", and have you physically checked it with a gauge?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:22 AM

As far as I know the psi should match what the sticker says in the door and I check regularly because I don't have a tpms and know that my tires can look properly inflated when they are not. I'm so used to road debris and little nails and stuff causing small leaks I keep a plug kit and portable air compressor in my car.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:55 PM

Went to a shop today and told em what happened. Guy puts his hand down on the back side of the tire between the tire and fender, does the same on the other side, steps back and looks from the front and says that I bent a strut and to come back for an alignment when it is replaced.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by UnknownError
As far as I know the psi should match what the sticker says in the door
With the same size tires on the placard on the door. Different sizes might require different PSI.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:18 PM
Administrator

After you replace those struts, drive it see if it tracks straight!

Quick Reply: erratic steering