Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

False info TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:53 PM

False info TPMS

Every now and then I get "low tire pressure" and the orange indicator light comes on for it. Scroll thru the menu to see that every tire has the correct pressure.
Shut the car off and restart and phantom problem goes away.
Anybody ever have this happen to them?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

That's kind of odd. Have you checked them with a handheld tire gauge and compared it with the car's readings ?

You said "correct pressure". What psi are you running ?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Administrator

This sounds familiar , like when the battery is on it's way south! Have your charging system checked and your battery load tested, also check your ground wire connections, and please report back to help others.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
That's kind of odd. Have you checked them with a handheld tire gauge and compared it with the car's readings ?

You said "correct pressure". What psi are you running ?
Haven't checked with a pressure gauge as the problem comes and goes.
32 psi in tires.
"correct pressure" as per screen display.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
This sounds familiar , like when the battery is on it's way south! Have your charging system checked and your battery load tested, also check your ground wire connections, and please report back to help others.
Why would you say the battery? I have no issues starting the car in cold temps. Why I say that is because cold temps will tax a poor condition battery faster causing hard/no start problems.
For curiosity sake I'll look to see if there is a date code on the battery. I did buy my car from a Chevy dealer a little over a year ago. It is pre-certified but who knows if they installed a new battery before they sold it to me.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 AM

Troubleshooting is most often done by going through a bunch of " could be .. ", verifying that they are good or bad. Trick is knowing what the " could be ... " are !!!
may have enough battery to start, but car computers need specific voltages. Maybe during start, voltages dip and computer faults. 2nd starts easier, not as much V drop, computer good. That's why you need to know if the battery/charging is up to snuff. then you can check that off & go to step #2 ... & #3 .... etc.
Another " C/B " ... TPMS sensor / batteries? going bad sensor, low voltage , bad connection ? don't know of any remote diagnostics, may need to physically access (PITA!) each one to verify.
Electrical gremlins are a PITA to track down ...
good luck & keep us informed .. your fix will be the next " could be " when someone else got the weird stuff happening!
Old 12-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Administrator

I mentioned it as mentioned above. To start from the primary root of the electrical system.
I've seen it cause issues with the door locks , radio, auto dim mirror, the list goes on, just trying to start you in a direction from the base to the peak, as it's not safe to climb a ladder every other rung, so take one rung at a time.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 AM

This phantom problem occurs when driving. Meaning the car starts fine (hot or cold). I have yet to check actual voltage at the battery before and at start up to see voltage difference (voltage drop).
As far as tire pressure vs the read out on the dash it's this:

Tire Dash
LF 28 24
RF 30 31
LR 30 31
RR 30 30

I'm leaning towards the LF sensor because at times this sensor will not read at all. When you look at the dash read out it's just a line (---). Indicator light comes on for tire pressure also.
I do have a very good scanner (Auto XRay AX7000) that I can look to see any possible codes and check my charging system with.
I'm in the auto trade for 45 years just as some back ground info.
I know the HHR can have problems of one sort or another. Just thought someone else has had this problem.
The other thing I'm going to look into is this "clunking" sound while going slow over bumps. it almost sounds to me like it's from the firewall area.
Another thought is there might be a valving problem in the front struts that can possibly cause this at low oscillations.
My car has 29K on it. I've paid attention to this for the last 3 months now.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the LF sensor battery maybe be going bad. That battery being 5-6 years old may have used up it's life sooner than the other 3.

Fwiw. I think (but can't remember) that a reading below 27 psi will trigger the warning light on the dash.
The LF showing a false 24 psi may be the reason for your warning light.

Now. To go RE-AIR up the tires on my SS. I was adding some air yesterday thanks to Winter's cooler weather.
Long story short. My air gauge went on the fritz and was giving out crazy fluctuating readings. Opened the gauge up and found a leaking battery. In the trash it went !
Picked up another air gauge at the store last night. Let the car sit overnight. Now I'll go back out and try again.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Does the low reading follow along if you move the wheel to another location, to confirm your suspicions?

Quick Reply: False info TPMS