Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

FOB crank, BUT NO START???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

FOB crank, BUT NO START???

OK, after nearly 8 years of ownership it's time for me to have a unsolvable problem.

Changed the oil and filter today and checked all other items while it was on the hoist (appears I will need end links). Started the car several times, with the key, to determine accurate oil level. While I was under the hood, I also checked the battery with a multimeter (12.46). On the last time, I thought, ah hell, use the remote start (I'm a "freak" about removing keys). So went through the prescribed routine and then pressed start. All it did was click continually,,,,like click, click, click, etc. I had to put the key in the ignition to stop the cycle. Now admittedly, I have no idea what the starter would sound like if the engine did not fire up.....so it could have been that. Now here's the strange part. I turned the key and the car started right up, like it's normal cycle.

Tried it several times with the key and had no problem. Tried again with the fob and had the same clicking result (again needing to insert the key and turn on). Checked the battery again...12.41. tried the fob on the door locks and horn and it worked.

Then I got the other fob (yes, I have 2)....and had the same results. Checked everything on the car and all appears to be working correctly........except the remote start function from the fobs.

I have no CEL or other indicator lights. In fact, knock on wood, I have never had an indicator light illuminate as a trouble issue.

I'm open for suggestions but I think a trip to the dealer is beckoning.

Oh, I did moderately search to see if others have experienced this. Nothing found.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM

remote start wont work with the hood open..If thats what you were trying to accomplish
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

I'll take a wild guess at this.
Check relay #34 under the hood. It is one that is part of the starting system.
(also relay #51 shows crank, run: not really sure what it controls)

You may have a relay that is working margainably because of the slightly low voltage. Try swapping the relay with a known good one.

Another thing you could try is to charge the battery and see if it cures the remote start issue.

It's worth a try before you head to the dealer.

AND. If you did have the hood open, then forget the stuff above.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Technical Moderator

Or. was a door open?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Or the hatch...(that got me once)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

No doors, windows, hood or hatch open.

I'll try Fireman's suggestions today. In fact, I did install the battery charger before reading or writing this. I'll probably let the charger go until it goes to float stage, then check the relays.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Did you check your hood latch alignment with the sensor. Had the same problem with a Cobalt. It did not complete the contact, had to adjust sensor position. No more problems. Problem started after the cold weather. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

and maybe the battery in the key fob? I have had the issue , cleaned the fob contacts under the key pad, changed the battery. worked, but that was my solution.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Hello Snoopy,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this with your HHR! If you do decide that you would like to work with your dealership let us know. We would be happy to work with you throughout the process. We can be reached via PM, please include your full name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Johathan, I could be wrong but I just dont' see that happening......

Quick Reply: FOB crank, BUT NO START???