Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Front End Rattle

I've searched all over with very little luck getting an positive answer to this dilemma. One of my 06 HHR sounds like the front end is going to fall out while driving over bumpy roads and yet the other, with more milage is tight as a button, no noise at all. The sad part is, the quiet one was poorly maintained and looks to have OEM front end parts too!

I don't want to change parts to find it, I want to knowingly correct the problem. Does anyone know if it the strut, strut bushing, or something else? My parents have a Saturn with the same issue and the dealership just wanted to start changing parts, without a definite answer of resolve. Sadly, I've never had a good experience with any GM dealership, so I don't really care to have them service my vehicle that aren't under warranty.

What I find during my searches, front end parts are changed, but the problem returns soon after.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM

I recently had this problem. Take a look at where the sway bar connects to the sway bar link. Mine was loose and I had a horrendous metal on metal clunk even over pretty smooth surfaces.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM

Look what I found by typing "clunk" into the SEARCH box

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...g-pop-s-50648/
Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

You what to know specifically what needs to be fixed/replaced? There is no way on earth anyone here can tell you specifically what is needing to be replaced.

The only way you are going to fix it, is to eyeball it yourself (or have a mechanic check it out). Every moving component at this point is suspect - it needs someone to lay hands on it, checking the various components of the front suspension. And virtually all of the components have been discussed to death here - so check out a few of the threads where noisy suspension is discussed and start checking things out.

Sure someone can say they replaced their struts and took care of the problem - but your struts may be just fine, and it might be your lower control arm rear bushing that is totally worn out, or the sway bar bushings, or the sway bar links, .......... and the list goes on.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
You what to know specifically what needs to be fixed/replaced? There is no way on earth anyone here can tell you specifically what is needing to be replaced.

The only way you are going to fix it, is to eyeball it yourself (or have a mechanic check it out). Every moving component at this point is suspect - it needs someone to lay hands on it, checking the various components of the front suspension. And virtually all of the components have been discussed to death here - so check out a few of the threads where noisy suspension is discussed and start checking things out.

Sure someone can say they replaced their struts and took care of the problem - but your struts may be just fine, and it might be your lower control arm rear bushing that is totally worn out, or the sway bar bushings, or the sway bar links, .......... and the list goes on.
No, that's not what I asked. I want to know what the cause might be, seems how this is not an oscillated issue with only my HHR, this is a common issue with this particular platform. I simply asking for information to a problem I'm experiencing, and have been unable to diagnose successfully. The mechanics have been unsuccessful at there attempt to correct the noise issue. This is what I found when I googled the problem http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...er_bumps.shtml

Previously, I've had excellent success retrieving solutions to other dilemmas, with a simple search here on the site, ei; water on passenger side floor, P0496 Evap Code, and a ignition key that I could not remove in Park.

Thank you for the suggestions, but all have been exhausted with no resolve to my issue as of yet.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you did ask "Does anyone know if it the strut, strut bushing, or something else?".

So I will repeat what I said earlier - " The only way you are going to fix it, is to eyeball it yourself (or have a mechanic check it out). Every moving component at this point is suspect - it needs someone to lay hands on it, checking the various components of the front suspension.".

You already know the components of the front suspension (struts, springs, sway bar, end links and mounts, bushings and ball joints) - they need to be checked - and you cannot do that over the internet.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Ah, We found that the Clunk,
Gotta fix that Clunk,
Fix that clunky now!

Gotta love George Clinton and Parliament !
Old 11-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Uh, I posted the definitive link that includes troubleshooting and repair procedures in post #3.

Anybody care to look at it? If not, I won't waste anymore time.

Here it is again: (link)https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-s-50648/(link) CLICK ME
Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Uh, I posted the definitive link that includes troubleshooting and repair procedures in post #3.

Anybody care to look at it? If not, I won't waste anymore time.

Here it is again: (link)https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-s-50648/(link) CLICK ME
It hasn't gone unnoticed, I printed myself a copy and pinned it up in my shop. As soon as I'm free, I will be going through it to see if any of these are the cause, thank you!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM

taking mine to midas tomorrow to try to find my rattle

Quick Reply: Front End Rattle