Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Front Vibration

Hello everyone. I had a few questions to see if anyone has any suggestions

1. I have been noticing my front end vibrate while braking mostly. Also i have noticed them squeaking. I drive very easy on the brakes and i am at 37,000 miles. Do you guys suggest that i will probably need to get my pads replaced and my discs resurfaced??? I have seen a few people complain here already..but i was wondering if the problem will have to come out of pocket or if there is some sort of known issue

2. I live in south florida and noticed when ever i drive the car in the cold (probably 5 days out of the year) the first few speed bumps i go over I hear the struts make a weird noise...but after a few minutes of driving it doesnt happen anymore. Has anyone heard or seeen this before?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Both are common, but at 37K you will not get warranty coverage. I don't know if many people have even found a solution to #2. Both my 06 I had and my current 08 did it and I have had no success getting it fixed. As for #1, don't bother resurfacing the rotors; get them replaced.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply...have an idea on how much it would cost to get both rotors replaced along with the pads? Why not resurface?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Check back on the million or so threads on your brake problems. Most of us have had the problem and there are many different opinions on this. It "seems" that GM may have used poor quality metal in the drums - when they heat up they warp. I bought a set of EBM slotted and drilled drums and they have held up well.
You can certainly have them turned and see how they hold up. That'll be a bit cheaper than replacing them, but it's not that much more I don't think to just buy new ones.
The argument will be that slotted and drilled make no improvement in heat disapation, but they work for me. If you do buy the slotted, make sure you put the slots in the correct direction.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM

just remember to clean the surface of the wheel back side and the hub.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by isaacm66
Hello everyone. I had a few questions to see if anyone has any suggestions

1. I have been noticing my front end vibrate while braking mostly. Also i have noticed them squeaking. I drive very easy on the brakes and i am at 37,000 miles. Do you guys suggest that i will probably need to get my pads replaced and my discs resurfaced??? I have seen a few people complain here already..but i was wondering if the problem will have to come out of pocket or if there is some sort of known issue

2. I live in south florida and noticed when ever i drive the car in the cold (probably 5 days out of the year) the first few speed bumps i go over I hear the struts make a weird noise...but after a few minutes of driving it doesnt happen anymore. Has anyone heard or seeen this before?
i too live in south fla. and i have both problems....however i have an additional problem when its cold....i have a vibration and rumble sound...almost like a wheel bearing sound but has a big vibration to it....my hhr makes alot of noises for the past 2 years and have had no trouble......
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 PM

i resurfaced my rotors about 7k miles ago and having vibrations again so better off replacing them the fitrst time.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:11 AM
jx3

Miami here also.

Only noise that my front end ever made was taken care by replacing the intermediate shaft of the steering column. No problems since, regardless of temps.

I also had the brakes resurfaced due to vibrations durning braking.

Both problems were resolved w/ one visit to the dealer, under warranty. This was about 33K on the odo.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM

yea i also have the column noise but since its not under warranty its gona keep makin noise....
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

I also have both problems. As for the vibration, I had my rotors resurfaced under warranty and it came back after about 5k miles. I switched to the EBC and the problem came back, only much worse, in 2k miles. I then bought R1 Concept and they held up for almost 5k miles, but the problem is coming back. I was told that the hubs may not be true and I have to find a shop that will cut the rotors on the car, so as to take into account any runout on the hub. I am still trying to find a shop that can do this in the NYC area.

Quick Reply: Front Vibration