Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Leak While Adding Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Fuel Leak While Adding Gas

I'm new to the forums but I've browsed them before for just about every other problem I've had with my HHR. Anyways, I recently have been getting the Check Gas Cap message, I would tighten it and then it would go away. First time this happened a Year and half ago the dealer said I just needed a new cap, they fixed it fine goes away. 3 months after that I get the Low Engine Power and then it dies. Take it back to the shop and I needed to get the the Charcoal Container fixed. Okay enough ranting.

Yesterday the check gas cap message came on and I tightened it the next time I started my car I get the check engine light. I went to fill up my tank on the way home from work and noticed a slight drip coming from near the wheel well while I was filling up. I havent seen anything drip since.

Any idea what the issue may be and how much I'm looking to spend?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM

If it was only when you filled/filling up, which it sounds like it was from you description, then chances are pretty good that you just had some spill/overflow.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM

it wasnt spill or overflow the pump didnt stop it kept going for a few seconds before it stopped, and it seemed like a lot more gas on the ground than from just some overflow. you could be right i'm not sure, it's just weird that before that happened I got the check gas cap message and check engine light.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Founding Member

Normally the canister doesn't need replacement, except when an owner continues to pump gas after the first click-off at the pump. Commonly referred to as "topping off".

You can look underneath the vehicle and see if it is leaking where the neck connects to the tank.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM

in New Jersey it's against the law to pump your own gas, so that kind've sucks if the whole topping it off thing was to blame for the canister, because it's something i have no control over.

It's not leaking from where the neck connects. It may be overflow but again it's seems weird that gas cap and engine light came on before that happened.

thanks for the replies, like I said early I have definitely used this board before to get answers, but didn't see this one on here anywhere.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Thomw,
I bet the attendent(s) are trying to pack the most gas possible in each and every car they fill up for more profit, resulting in the overflow/spillage.
Did ya ever consider getting out of the car and watching them, and telling them to stop pumping when it first clicks off?
Food for thought...
Mo
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

I tend to agree with others that this might be a small leak in the fill tube. It would be a good idea to just crawl underneath and check all of the hose clamps. All ot takes is one to appear to the system that the cap is failing to hold pressure, or show up as fuel on the ground. Food for thought
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
I tend to agree with others that this might be a small leak in the fill tube. It would be a good idea to just crawl underneath and check all of the hose clamps. All ot takes is one to appear to the system that the cap is failing to hold pressure, or show up as fuel on the ground. Food for thought
as soon as I have some daylight tomorrow i'm going to check this. thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Check the vent tube that runs off the main fill tube....ths is what keeps the gas from burping while filling...if leaking it will act the same as a loose cap
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM

I think in chicago , It's against the law for somebody else to pump your gas.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak While Adding Gas