Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

GM Notice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM

GM Notice

Just got a notice about the electric power steering on 2007 HHRs. It can fail at any time. The advice is to have the dealership put some kind of protection on the motor. Canada GM sent it out, presume it covers all 07s.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Protection? I thought you guys in Canada were getting new motors....... some "recall"
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM

I think this is just in Canada, at least so far. I have seen nothing regarding my 2007, at least not yet. And yes Greybeard, I too thought the recall replaced the entire motor. Didn't it for the Cobalt recalls?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Yes, the Cobalt's got new motors..... and if you go to the dealer and buy a new HHR motor it's the new design. GM just won't get off the pot and do this right.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM

Yeah, it is only for Canada. Brad (ChvyMgr) posted in the TSB thread about it a few weeks back...but it only applies to Canada, and I believe it covered all year HHRs. I'm hoping it's a matter of time until it comes to the US. I don't see how it can be a problem in Canada, but not here. I guess if I drive 100 miles away and cross a river my power steering can fail, but if I stay on this side of the lake I'll be fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Maybe the different countries have different phases and budget cycles. I'm sure if there is an issue, GM USA will put out a notice-eventually. Its not like the consequence of the defect is "flooring it" or anything.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Well the Cobalt has had a recall, as well as the G6, and to my knowledge it's the same thing on the HHR.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Founding Member

Oh my, I don't for the life of me know why I bother to post these bulletins. If nobody is going to read them, then whats the use. Here is the link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...31&page=16#158

Here is the letter being sent. I'm afraid that CR Dave has misread the letter. The protection he speaks of is the EXTENDED coverage of the motor for failures.

January 2011
Dear General Motors Customer:

General Motors has decided that a defect, which may relate to vehicle motor safety, may exist in certain 2003-2007 model year Saturn ION or 2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR vehicles equipped with electric power steering.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2003-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles or 2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo), equipped with electric power steering, may have a condition where a sudden loss of power steering assist could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If power steering assist is lost, the vehicle can still be steered, however, with greater effort (manual steering). The slower the vehicle is moving, the higher the steering effort. Unless a driver compensates for this additional steering effort, loss of power steering assist may increase the risk of a crash. When the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Centre will display a "PWR STR" warning message to inform you of the condition. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the power steering assist motor. If this condition occurs on your 2003-2007 model year Saturn ION or 2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo) vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 240,000 km, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Please be advised that you may take your vehicle to the General Motors dealership of your choice to have this service work completed, whether the above condition exists or not . Otherwise, keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.

If you have already paid to have this special coverage condition corrected and you have not received reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, you should contact your dealer as you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Please provide your dealer with your original paid receipts or invoices verifying the repair, the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment of those charges, and proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair. Reimbursement will be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized General Motors dealer. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned above, must be received by your dealer before February 29, 2012.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer Care and Aftersales

General Motors of Canada Limited
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Well Brad, I read them, so please, keep posting them!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Me too thanks Brad.

Quick Reply: GM Notice