Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headlights and Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Headlights and Dash Lights

Good day, while driving to work this morning I noticed something strange. It was an overcast day and when I pulled out of the garage the HHR had it's headlights on. What was strange was that the interior dash lights were not on. I checked the intensity dial and it was up all the way.

I also noticed a few times that the roof mounted LED was flashing like crazy.

Weird stuff!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM

I've noticed before the outside lights on and inside off. just depending the the weather outside and/or position of the sun.

it also varies from car to car. My mother has an 06 Cobalt. She was following me one day and my headlights turned on 20 min before hers.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM

I have seen the intensity be different with the interior lights, but I have never seen the roof mounted LED flashing...
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Thats funny cause just the other day my interior lights started flashing
on and off just for a few moments but hasn't done it since.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Solman, the reason I thought this was strange was because I've never seen the headlights on without the dash lights on. I thought that the dash lights come on with the headlights, everytime. Maybe I'm wrong???
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Solman, the reason I thought this was strange was because I've never seen the headlights on without the dash lights on. I thought that the dash lights come on with the headlights, everytime. Maybe I'm wrong???

I've noticed it with mine. Especially if it's raining during the day. You turn the wipers on and the headlights come on, but unless it too dark, the dash lights will stay off. I think I've seen it at other times. But the flashing light is new to me.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I've noticed it with mine. Especially if it's raining during the day. You turn the wipers on and the headlights come on,
In the 2007 Owners Manual page 164 states:

Wiper Activated Headlamps

This feature activates the headlamps and parking lamps after the windshield wipers are turned on. For this feature to work, automatic lighting must be enabled. When the ignition is turned off, the wiper-activated headlamps will immediately turn off. They will also turn off 15 seconds after the windshield wiper control is turned off.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=HillsdaleHHR;137417]
Originally Posted by solman98
I've noticed it with mine. Especially if it's raining during the day. You turn the wipers on and the headlights come on, QUOTE]

In the 2007 Owners Manual page 164 states:

Wiper Activated Headlamps

This feature activates the headlamps and parking lamps after the windshield wipers are turned on. For this feature to work, automatic lighting must be enabled. When the ignition is turned off, the wiper-activated headlamps will immediately turn off. They will also turn off 15 seconds after the windshield wiper control is turned off.
Can't comment of the 07 manual, Just going off what the 06 does.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 PM

I have weird, similar, things, going on, also.

I think it has to do with the light sensor on the dash, inconsistant, but not permanently "not working".

Dash/interior issues, were discussed, over & over, see thread below:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/dimmer-switch-5358/

Later,
Mark
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM

On other cars I've owned, I often turned the headlights on while traveling, even during the day. My car is "caribbean green" and very hard to see during the day. Since the dash lights come on also, the lights on the accessories dim, especially the radio. So I'm driving along with sunglasses on, trying to be safety-conscious, but I can't even read my dash board.

I think what they did in the HHR with daytime running lights and the dash lights not coming on is a great idea. I also like the lights coming on when the wipers are activated. It's the law in Florida and I know I often forget to turn the lights on in the rain if the sensor doesn't turn them on. Good job Chevy!

Quick Reply: Headlights and Dash Lights