Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HELP with electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 08:51 PM

HELP with electrical issues

2010 HHR 2LT - Original owner, 117k miles
I'm hoping you all can point me in the right direction. For several weeks I've been experiencing the following issues with my HHR. Taillamps not on during normal or night driving. Bulbs work as when I use the fob to lock or unlock car they come on. Interior illumination in radio 'cluster' area will light up when I tap the brake pedal but usually only the first time or two I tap it. For the most part (at night) most of the console lighting is off. All gauges and things like A/C seem to work normally. I've checked both fuse boxes and 'seated' all the fuses and relays AFAIK. I also have an issue with the passenger side mirror control but that's been going on for months and I don't believe it is in any way related. Have not had the battery checked but figured higher load devices would be more likely to be affected than lights. So, in a nutshell my problem is all? related to lighting. I'm leaning toward something like a BCM but wouldn't know the next step if that's the consensus. I don't have a code scanner but that might be the next step.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Last edited by Ritasmobile; 07-23-2022 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added info re: code scanner
Old 07-23-2022, 09:45 PM

Anything past 5 years on the battery is borrowed time. Almost everything is controlled by a computer, computers hate low voltage and amperes.
The mirror controls go bad regularly.
Anything covering the little bulb on the dash?
Old 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM

Donbrew is talking about the light sensor, up by the defrost vents.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:31 PM

Thanks guys, so far. Nothing covering sensor. Again, center console below radio lights up momentarily for a second or 2 when you first tap the brake pedal at night. Taillamps light up when you unlock or lock car but rest of time don't work AFAIK. Checking the battery I find 12.3v at rest, 14.8 with car running. Cannot tell how old battery is because I can't see the date sticker (probably blocked by body) but I know it's a Duracell from Sam's, presumably 96R. Sam's screwed up my membership a couple years ago and can't find any purchase info before 2020. Since battery is at least 3-4 years old I will go by Sam's today and have it tested if possible and get a new one. I know they won't install it because they won't touch batteries mounted in cargo area but I did it the last time. Either way, it's an old battery and should know tomorrow whether that fixes it.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ritasmobile
Thanks guys, so far. Nothing covering sensor. Again, center console below radio lights up momentarily for a second or 2 when you first tap the brake pedal at night. Taillamps light up when you unlock or lock car but rest of time don't work AFAIK. Checking the battery I find 12.3v at rest, 14.8 with car running. Cannot tell how old battery is because I can't see the date sticker (probably blocked by body) but I know it's a Duracell from Sam's, presumably 96R. Sam's screwed up my membership a couple years ago and can't find any purchase info before 2020. Since battery is at least 3-4 years old I will go by Sam's today and have it tested if possible and get a new one. I know they won't install it because they won't touch batteries mounted in cargo area but I did it the last time. Either way, it's an old battery and should know tomorrow whether that fixes it.
Sam’s Club always has records of my auto service department purchases, but it always involved them doing something, never just a walk-off purchase. Did you exchange a core? They have also quoted various policy prohibitions when they were feeling lazy or contrary but in every case relented when I slapped them up side the hade and explained that they had checked their brains at the door. This included trivial tire size disparities and the battery the in backside, which they did put it in and needed no Gojo hand cleaner upon completion. Apparently management dislikes unhappy customers more than unhappy legal staff.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:33 PM

Thanks. Will take your Sam's suggestion under advisement. Planning to go in Monday and have them look up purchase and all.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:59 PM

I had an Advance guy tell me corporate policy "no batteries in the rear", next day the manager said "sure, which one is it". BTW, their parts delivery car is an HHR.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys for your suggestions but so far, NO JOY. Went to Sam's yesterday, had the battery tested. In very good condition according to their computer BUT it was 4 years old. Bought a new 90T5 battery, took it home and installed it. Nothing changed. Still have the weird lights issue. Need suggestions for next step. Should I take it to my local Chevy dealer and see if they can diagnose it with their Tech 2 (or whatever it's called)? When I installed the new battery the car was 'down' for about an hour. The only thing that was different when I started it was the clock needed setting; all the radio presets were there. Would it make any sense to remove power for a day or 2? Also, I've made no attempt to check the connections under the hood where you would jump start it at.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:59 PM

Check fuse #69, in the underhood fuse block.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:08 AM

RJ_ I'll check that fuse tomorrow when I have some time off and follow up. Thanks

Quick Reply: HELP with electrical issues