Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HELP! Everyone stumped. Unknown road noise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 PM

Question HELP! Everyone stumped. Unknown road noise.

I have a 2010 HHR 4 Door Lt that we just got new tires for as well as an alignment. They are Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring. The first time we drove it after getting the new tires there was a hum/roar. At 60 mph it is the loudest, it goes away at 65-70 and as you slow down from 60 the pitch lowers until around 40-45 that it mostly goes away. The sound does not change when turning. We had not had a noise prior to the new tires. Seems to be the front passenger.

We took it back to the tire place and they said we had a bad bearing so they replaced it. We were also in need of new front brakes and rotors as well as struts that were all replaced. The sound was still there.

We took it back. They messed around with it and told us it was the after market hub cabs and we'd just have to deal with the noise. I popped the hubcaps off and of course the noise was still there.

We went back. They rotated the tires front to back and the noise was the same in the same place. They put it on the lift and went 60 mph with no sound. Must have the road contact/pressure to have the sound.They said they didn't know because all of their diagnostics showed everything was fine and we would just have to drive it until it got loud enough they could figure it out. At this point it started vibrating.

Took it back and they said we could watch them do all the diagnostics to see that nothing was wrong.

We took it to another tire place. They said the front passenger tire was not balanced and added weight. I'm assuming we didn't notice the vibration at first and then it was more noticeable when they had moved the tire to the front.

They also said that the bearing that the first people replaced were bad and that they mounted one of the struts wrong. We told them to fix them because we just want the car fixed at this point! We then get a call saying that the mechanic looked at it and said everything was fine and that they didn't replace anything because he didn't feel it would fix the noise.

We have not gone to pick up the car yet as it is out of town and they called right before closing.

My thought is that it is the tires. I guess I have a very simplistic way of thinking since I have no knowledge of tires! Old tires - no sound, new tires - sound. However both places said there is nothing wrong with the tires so they won't warranty them. We have about 2 weeks left on the warranty that says we can have them replaced for any reason. Perhaps the sound is just super loud tread sound? Does anyone have any experience with this tire? With everything going on in the world right now I don't want to also be worried that something terrible is going to happen to my car during my commute to work!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:02 PM

Anybody look at the alignment and front end parts, especially the Lower Control Arm bushings?

I would also look at the exhaust flex pipe; some have described it as a tire noise.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 PM

Maybe the other hub?
Old 10-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Has anybody retorqued the lug nuts and the axle nut by hand, sometimes the sir wrench doesn’t cut the mustard, or over tightens the fasteners.
I hope since none of these recommended repairs were at no charge as their guessing did not remedy the noise complaint.
the front axle on that side might be damaged by running the car at 60 mph while life’s on the hoist.

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-30-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:40 AM

Might want to edit your post oldblue. Autocorrect has turned it to gibberish.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Thank you RJ, new IPhone XR I have to turn the auto correct off.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:50 AM

Are YouSure the noise is from the front
If so I would at least replace the 2 fronts while you still can.
Pick a major brand tire and ask .. will that start a new replacement warrantee on them?
If that fixes the noise, then make them replace the other 2 as well.
Are the current tires all season's or and aggressive snow tire?
Are they a directional tread design?
You cannot always look at a tire and say it is ok. The proof is in the "pudin"

Silverfox
Old 10-30-2020, 10:34 AM

The tread design appears to be the same as the Original Equipment Firestones, maybe even a clone or rebranded tire. They are made by Cooper Tire, they make a lot of "off" brands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper...Rubber_Company
https://www.mastercrafttires.com/tir...-grand-touring
Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Administrator

So that’s who makes those , I just replaced mine that were on my 2011 when I purchased it.

I’m still thinking something was messed up during that tire change. Just a hunch but what is the size they installed?
Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM
geg

Old tires - no noise. New tires - there is noise. Old tires again - no noise. And so on...
If you think logically. The noise is clearly from the tires. No hub, no exhaust, no other iron is to blame.
There is a possibility that the directional bus is incorrectly positioned. There is a possibility that you were using a non-standard tire size. But most likely the noise is a feature of a particular tire model. This often happens, some tires are very noisy.
I think if you just google it, there are a couple of benchmarking tests showing the merits and demerits of different tire models. If your search confirms that this tire model has a "noisy" character, then you can safely exercise the right to a replacement and not break your brains.
Good luck ...

Quick Reply: HELP! Everyone stumped. Unknown road noise.