Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help please! Electrical Gremlins Invade Elvis...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Question Help please! Electrical Gremlins Invade Elvis...

Hi Folks, I could use some HHR electric diagnostic help if any of you are experienced in that field. My dealer has had it once, but could not figure it out due to the problems being intermittent. I am not complaining, as I think they are trying their best and are wonderful to deal with (Bobby Murray Chevrolet in Raleigh). I would appreciate if anyone has input on this for me (us). Elvis is not doing well……. As an aside, Elvis is an ’09 2.4 2LT with 32k miles (trying to get this before the warranty goes).

1 – Temp Gauge/Readout – Twice, the Engine Coolant Temperature gauge reads zero after the car was fully warmed. I checked the DIC display below the speedo, and under Temp it read “ ----“. This lasts for about a day (and overnight), and several starts, before it begins reading again like normal.

2 – Tire Pressure Warning - At the same time as the temp gauge going flat, the tire pressure sensor warning message appears on the multifunction display saying “SVC Tire Monitor” and the orange tire shaped Tire Pressure Light warning (lower right instrument panel) flashes and then stays on steady. When I check the display readout for tire pressure, it reads (all or multiples) “---- PSI“, though it will usually later go back to reading pressure again, though the orange Tire Pressure Light light stays illuminated. Yesterday all four read “----“ at once. If I stop and shut the car off and back on, it will clear. The actual tire pressure is just fine when I check.

3- A/C - A few miles after the temp gauge goes flat, the A/C stops blowing cold. The system works fine, except obviously the compressor is not running. My service guy at the dealer says that makes sense, as when the temp gauge stops reading, the computer tells to A/C to shut down as the car might possibly be overheating (since it cannot tell). The A/C comes back on normally after the temp gauge rebounds. It has happened twice now, just like the service guys said.

4 – ESC Warning Light – The stability control light came on twice yesterday, and then went off on its own.

5 - OBD II Check Engine Light – The check engine light came on yesterday, and is still illuminated today. No, I have changed nothing on the car any time recently, and the air filter is of a non-oiled variety in the GMPP intake (in the car for a year).

6 – A/C Compressor shudder – I noticed today after the A/C came back on, that if I cycle the A/C button, the car shudders hard at idle when I cut on the compressor with the A/C switch. It didn’t seem to do that before to this degree.

7- Remote Start – My remote start will not start Elvis today. It acknowledges that I have asked it start by flashing the light, but it refuses to crank the engine. This is a new issue today.

Do y’all remember the wartime Bugs Bunny episode where the “gremlin” is in the airplane? I think the gremlin has moved on to Elvis now. Uh-oh! I could really use some advice here. The dealer thinks it may be a bad ground somewhere, but cannot find it if everything is working. Of course, the car is now working again before Monday morning when the service department opens. I am wondering about a bad battery as well. I have had two friends (one Mustang and one BMW) with really whacky electrical problems, that were eventually traced to “traveling shorts” in a battery. I am also wondering about the fuse box. Any help would be greatly appreciated and happily acknowledged here on the boards. God Bless and Best wishes, Marc
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Did you check all the fuses and relays in the fuse box under the hood? I haven't been having any issues but have read about this here on the forum several times, so I just checked mine and everything was loose, some of the relays were even at weird angles they were so loose...... Worth a 5 minute look-see.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Good point! I wonder if a strategically cut block of foam to go under the lid would help keep them in place? Hmmmmm...... Many thanks, and I look forward to any other suggestions folks may have. God Bless, Marc
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM

I would like to check the pin connections on the back of the display looking closely for a loose pin connection. Maybe take a magnifying glass to look at the printed circuit board for a bad spot. And maybe even a sniff test wouldn't hurt while you have it out. It only take ten minutes or less to take it out.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Did you check all the fuses and relays in the fuse box under the hood? I haven't been having any issues but have read about this here on the forum several times, so I just checked mine and everything was loose, some of the relays were even at weird angles they were so loose...... Worth a 5 minute look-see.
At the risk of starting another of the "dead horse" debates.......

You checked and found some loose. Did ANY of your electrical items, that are monitored by this THIS fuse box, NOT WORK?

So yeah, go ahead and check the fuses. But, if you look at the lid of the fuse box and do some careful measuring, you'll discover the fuse box lid is designed with a "honeycomb" to prevent the fuse/relays from becoming loose enough to cause a problem.

I'm mentioning this, in an attempt to prevent owners from thinking this is THE problem with their vehicles, and thus provide a false security. Many times pressing on the fuse/relays to reinsert them provides a better connection between to 2 pieces of fuse box......which is the real concern. Many of the boxes are not installed properly from the factory and/or may have defective pins on the bottom connectors. Sometimes this problem will some up immediately, sometimes it may take a while....depending on driving applications.

I believe, ChevyMgr posted a TSB on this.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Believe I said "I haven't been having any issues" .....I did find everything loose so I pushed them back in as they should be. I don't see the harm in that.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
jx3

I used to be a subscriber to the loose fuse theory, but seeing as I forgot to check and reseat them during the 2nd oil change, I just let them ride. Haven't had any problems associated w/ loose fuses in nearly 40K.

For those that seem to have whatever problem clearing up clearing up after reseating the fuses, it's probably due to the wire harness under the fuse box getting jostled just enough to make proper contacts.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Believe I said "I haven't been having any issues" .....I did find everything loose so I pushed them back in as they should be. I don't see the harm in that.
Slowdown "cowboy", I was NOT challenging your assessment.....only adding to it.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

As to Elvis & all the electrical issues seems almost at once, I would get the battery checked at the local auto parts for FREE.

Least this could be confirmed as an issue, or not..........

Fuses: I checked all my fuses when I first got my 08 HHR.. They were all in tight.
I just checked again 8/28/10, 1 yr later & still tight..
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Get an aeroforce gage to plug in and compare notes.......if it doesn't go off line like your DIC then it may point you in a direction

Quick Reply: Help please! Electrical Gremlins Invade Elvis...