Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 AM

Help with a problem

First info 2009 2.2 160 or so on it. All stock but cold air intake. New optima battery new ground wire and battery clamps. The problem started last fall and is now a on and off thing. I clear codes and it's fine. I stop car and restart it and it's fine any help would be great thanks.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

I'm going to guess this is a real SS and not a clone ? (Since no HHR came in that color scheme)
Always best to include the vehicle info if looking for help with a problem. And how long you've owned it.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Welcome, 2009, 2.2, it’s not an SS , good starting point is always to check for technical service bulletins (TSB) for your particular vehicle. Your issue may be a known issue with a known fix put out by the manufacturer and can save you time and money during diagnosis. There is a known General Motors bulletin # 08-07-30-021E that applies to many 2007-2010 GM vehicles (Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet, Hummer). First, see if you are able to access fault codes and if so, note if there are any other diagnostic fault codes. If any of them are module communication related, diagnose them first. Misdiagnosis has been known to occur if a technician diagnoses this code before any other module communication related system codes have been thoroughly diagnosed. Next, locate all bus communication connections on your particular vehicle. Once located, visually inspect the connectors and wiring. Look for chafing, rubbing, bare wires, burn spots or melted plastic. Pull the connectors apart and carefully inspect the terminals (the metal parts) inside the connectors. See if they look corroded, burnt or possibly green in color versus the normal metal color you are probably used to seeing. You can get some Electrical Contact cleaner at any parts store if cleaning of the terminals is needed. If this is not possible, find some 91% rubbing alcohol and a light plastic bristle brush to clean them with. Afterwards let them air dry, get some dielectric silicone compound (same stuff they use for light bulb sockets and spark plug wires) and put some where the terminals come into contact. If your scan tool can now communicate, or if there were any module communication related fault codes, clear the diagnostic trouble codes from memory, and see if this code returns. If it does not, then the connections were most likely your problem. If communication is not possible, or you were unable to clear the module communication related fault codes, the only thing left that can be done is to unplug one control module at a time and see if communication with the scan tool occurs or the codes clear. Disconnect the negative battery cable before unplugging the connector at a given control module. Once disconnected, unplug the connector(s) at the control module, hook the battery cable back up and retest. If communication now occurs or the codes now clear, that module / connection is at fault.

Look here for chaffed wires

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/u0073

Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Oldblue. I think the OP is wrong or typo'd the engine size. The pics show SS body fascia and SS wheels. AND pic 2 shows the 140 mph SS speedo. Guess we'll just wait to see if they come back and clarify if it's a true SS.

Edit: The last pic appears to show a non SS door panel in the background ?
Yep. The OP needs to come back and tell us "what" kind of HHR this is.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Yep! Gotta go with what’s posted, the solution applies to either engine size, the wires are still the issue
Old 06-06-2021, 09:55 AM

I see a U0073 code, service ESC on the DIC, a security warning light, and a warning light for the Enhanced Traction System.

Are you having any symptoms other than these?
Old 06-06-2021, 10:47 AM

Okay sorry guys its is not a SS it's a CLONE. That's why the 2.2 is in the post . the only other problem is the gauges will zero out. Like car is off. Have a video but will not let me upload.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Send me the video in an email, I’ll fix it and post it for you.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GreenAA5
Okay sorry guys its is not a SS it's a CLONE. That's why the 2.2 is in the post . the only other problem is the gauges will zero out. Like car is off. Have a video but will not let me upload.
Hmm. So the speedo/gauge cluster has been changed to a SS 140 mph unit. Maybe, someone didn't do a good job of swapping out parts.
Also. has the ignition recall work been done ?
These 2 things along with the positive battery connection at the under hood fuse box. That's where I'd start.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Then the under hood fuse box halves, ground wires and the relays and fuses in the console fuse box, ensure they are all clean and tightly seated.

Quick Reply: Help with a problem