Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR SS Steering sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM

HHR SS Steering sensor

I have been looking all over, and I find very little info on the SS steering motor/position sensor. I know it's unique to the SS, and the steering sensor is in the motor unit, not the column like the non-turbo HHR.

Issue: Power steering message on IP cluster, as well as ESC disabled. I get steering codes (I will have to pull the code again), but when I look at data on my Tech II, the steering angle is locked at -215 degrees. I can turn the wheel all I want, no change in steering angle. I'm thinking steering sensor, but it's not available on its own from GM, but Rockauto sells an aftermarket sensor, Wells I think, that says it's for an SS.

Anybody have a similar issue on their SS, and was the rock auto sensor the correct one. It's $75 plus shipping, so I'm trying to avoid the gamble.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by RunswScissors
I have been looking all over, and I find very little info on the SS steering motor/position sensor. I know it's unique to the SS, and the steering sensor is in the motor unit, not the column like the non-turbo HHR.

Issue: Power steering message on IP cluster, as well as ESC disabled. I get steering codes (I will have to pull the code again), but when I look at data on my Tech II, the steering angle is locked at -215 degrees. I can turn the wheel all I want, no change in steering angle. I'm thinking steering sensor, but it's not available on its own from GM, but Rockauto sells an aftermarket sensor, Wells I think, that says it's for an SS.

Anybody have a similar issue on their SS, and was the rock auto sensor the correct one. It's $75 plus shipping, so I'm trying to avoid the gamble.
There was a service bulletin on the steering motor, have you tried the dealer? I think there was a special warranty on it.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM

There is a TSB concerning the ESC & steering issues. IIRC, some times after an alignment is done improperly the steering angle gets out of whack. Mainly because somebody tried to center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rod ends, instead of with the TechII.

If you have a TechII, did you already try to reset the center to spec? Don't get offended, some people have one and don't know how to use it.

There is a procedure I scanned in my Mitchell On Demand. Since I have an LT, I did not study the section.

Just trying to offer something, I noticed the thread languishing.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
There is a TSB concerning the ESC & steering issues. IIRC, some times after an alignment is done improperly the steering angle gets out of whack. Mainly because somebody tried to center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rod ends, instead of with the TechII.

If you have a TechII, did you already try to reset the center to spec? Don't get offended, some people have one and don't know how to use it.

There is a procedure I scanned in my Mitchell On Demand. Since I have an LT, I did not study the section.

Just trying to offer something, I noticed the thread languishing.
I am going to try to disconnect the intermediate shaft and rotate the steering wheel. This all started while I was trying to adjust the intermediate shaft to eliminate the clunk, I may have reconnecte the wheel 360 out. It's too cooincidental for this issue to emerge at the same time. I have tried the re-learn for centering, but the procedure just hangs up. I am assuming it is not seeing any position feedback from the sensor and not completing the learn procedure. I should get the car back from the body shop today (glorious door rust not covered under warranty), and will try rotating the wheel 360 and reconnecting. For certain right now, looking at the Data Display shows no reponse from the sensor. If none of this works, I will try to get my data car updated in my Tech II and see if it's the T2 that's causing the learn issue.

I'll post up when/if I learn something. Thank you for your response, and no offense taken on my Tech II saavy, I have not regularly used it in over 8 years.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Be very careful of the clock spring! If you go spinning the wheel you CAN break it, then you be wondering why the airbag light is on.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RunswScissors
I am going to try to disconnect the intermediate shaft and rotate the steering wheel. This all started while I was trying to adjust the intermediate shaft to eliminate the clunk, I may have reconnecte the wheel 360 out. It's too cooincidental for this issue to emerge at the same time. I have tried the re-learn for centering, but the procedure just hangs up. I am assuming it is not seeing any position feedback from the sensor and not completing the learn procedure. I should get the car back from the body shop today (glorious door rust not covered under warranty), and will try rotating the wheel 360 and reconnecting. For certain right now, looking at the Data Display shows no reponse from the sensor. If none of this works, I will try to get my data car updated in my Tech II and see if it's the T2 that's causing the learn issue.

I'll post up when/if I learn something. Thank you for your response, and no offense taken on my Tech II saavy, I have not regularly used it in over 8 years.
My '08 SS also started showing the POWER STEERING and SERVICE ESC messages after servicing the intermediate shaft, in my case replacing it all together. I think I may have over-rotated the steering wheel while it was free of the intermediate shaft and damaged something internally.

I am getting a replacement power steering assembly from a parts yard locally.

Were you able to find the steering position sensor independently of the power steering assembly?
Old 02-18-2022, 06:50 AM
Administrator

He hasn’t been here since 04/2014. The SS steering angle sensor is in the assembly.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
He hasn’t been here since 04/2014. The SS steering angle sensor is in the assembly.
Thank you for confirming that.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:52 AM
Administrator

As Donbrew mentioned it could just require a relearn
Old 02-18-2022, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
As Donbrew mentioned it could just require a relearn
I had a mechanic hook up the pro scanner and try to realign the wheel but the sensor is not reading at all. I suspect I damaged it when I had the intermediate shaft disconnected. I'm pretty sure I rotated the steering wheel too many times with it disconnected. (I was spinning it around like a child 😂🤷‍♂️).

Quick Reply: HHR SS Steering sensor