Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR stalled then wont start back up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shadetree
The only reason I jumped to ecm was because it controls all the sensors and adjust accordingly.
Yeah, and if any sensor is doing its job the computer MUST be what is wrong. The ECM being the actual problem (not connectors and wires) is 100,000 to 1. Any thread you read on the interwebs that mention it is because in the description of possibilities the ECM is mentioned as a very last possibility. Dealerships make their money replacing thiongs so, the mechanics focus on the easy stuff.
The ECM does not "control" the sensors, for the most part they are passive coils of wire. More likely a loose connection, a frayed wire or a blown fuse than a bad sensor or computer. The computer only reads data and adjusts things; garbage in, garbage out.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:22 PM

The code is P0016 so I guess it's the timing chain.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not sure when I can get to it, but I will update after I do.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Do not drive the car or start the engine, P0016 is definitely the timing chain is off at least 1 tooth. If it skips any more then it could bend valves and damage pistons!
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Do not drive the car or start the engine, P0016 is definitely the timing chain is off at least 1 tooth. If it skips any more then it could bend valves and damage pistons!
Yeah, it will just sit there till I can deal with it. Thanks
Old 06-21-2022, 12:41 AM

Yeah, it will just sit there till I can deal with it. Thanks
If you just bought it, did it come with a warranty? usually 30 days or 3 months/3000 miles.... Id get the dealer to fix , foot the bill or reimburse costs.....
Old 06-21-2022, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bonez
If you just bought it, did it come with a warranty? usually 30 days or 3 months/3000 miles.... Id get the dealer to fix , foot the bill or reimburse costs.....
Nope, as is. The dealer is like a cricket. One of those buyer beware situations.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 AM
Administrator

If you are changing the timing chain, install a replacement bolt in the front guide upper bolt .

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...de-bolt-62897/
Old 06-21-2022, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
If you are changing the timing chain, install a replacement bolt in the front guide upper bolt .

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...de-bolt-62897/
will do
Old 06-21-2022, 02:26 PM

In the US, unless otherwise stated in writing all used car sales are "as is". Same with any "used" item.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:54 PM

AutoZone read the code and it was for the camshaft sensor. I replaced the intake and exhaust camshaft sensors as well as the crankshaft sensor. .
Did you really replace the camshaft sensors on the front and the back of the head on the driver side, or were they the VVT solenoid valves on the top of the head on the passenger side that so many mistakenly call sensors?

Back in 2008 ChevyMgr posted a list of C and P codes for HHR. The descriptions for P0016/17 (wisely) do not include the word sensor there.
  • P0016 Crankshaft Position (CKP)-Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation
  • P0017 Crankshaft Position (CKP)-Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation

But all over the web they do use the word sensor, apparently causing massive confusion. Here’s a more lucid one: “The correlation of the camshaft and crankshaft positions on bank 1 is incorrect based on the intake camshaft position sensor..”

For the life of me I don’t know why people conclude that that means a sensor is bad. How could the computer know the correlation is wrong unless the sensors are working? Surely tens of thousands of sensors are pointlessly replaced because of this confusion.

Ref: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...010-hhr-14259/

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Betcha we have one driven w/ a CEL and P0016/17. DOA
The code is P0016 so I guess it's the timing chain.
OK, it was only P0016. But since it now won’t even start, the chain has jumped more than the one tooth or two that just made it run bad. I would not decide on a complete chain job until I knew if the valves have crashed. I’m not sure how to do that. Oil on one plug? Maybe just bite the bullet and pull the head.

It is plausible that gummed up VVT solenoid valves or actuators could cause a P0016/17, but really rough running is surely a jumped chain, and a crank no start could mean it’s too late for just a chain job.

I think GM should reflash all EcoTec ECM’s so that a P0016 or 17 goes to an immediate flashing CEL and won’t allow the engine to be cranked if a restart is attempted.

Quick Reply: HHR stalled then wont start back up.