Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR used - historical repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Let’s not focus on traditional problems in other HHR’s , let’s focus on your HHR.
I chased vibrations for a few years , as I replaced parts it got better.
Not much back there other then shocks, rarely the axle pivot bushings go south.
Thanks OldBlue, always appreciate any insight I can receive on something new to me... like these HHR's.
I'm not experiencing a "vibration" that I'm chasing down. I was mainly looking over the historical repairs and that spawned the question to all the experienced HHR Owners and possible problems for me to watch out for.
My current issue is a rear movement... or torsional hop, like an Older pickup hitting a gravel washout area, the back end would walk due to the suspension not able to handle the bumps when box empty.
If shocks are uneven, 1 froze or lost their ability to control oscillations during a jounce & rebound movement they can transmit body moment that will effect the frame or ft end geometry.
And if there is any Ft End wear, which I'm sure there is on this HHR, that could multiple the torsional hop too.

Currently, I can brake hard with very minimal steering wheel input, nominal wheel vibration. I can accelerate WOT, decelerate without issue, go over RR tracks without setting Ft End into a movement, turn Lf or Rt hard and no major issues for a soft suspension. But hit a rough bridge apron, a series of small holes on highway or RR tracks, the back end will walk a bit for now. Before I rush into shocks & struts, I was seeing what was available in options, and give me time to examine other components that may need replaced when I take it apart.

I've seen a few HHR / Cobalt YouTubes that do struts or LCA and most indicate no need to check alignment since no OEM C&C adjustments, only Toe.
Wanted to get the opinion of the Forum if they applied different guidelines, and what practice applied to gain insight & ideas.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Regarding the ignition switch recall.
Where were you 5 years ago when GM had the massive "You could Die" recall. Several models affected and I think the recall total was several million vehicles.
That part of your cars record likely pertains to the ignition recall.
Looking at your emoji bio... you indicate the GM Turbo Upgrade. Is that the SS package Upgrade or did you add the turbo to a 2.2 or 2.4L.
Pic looks of a SS model, didn't know if OEM SS or add-ons.
I noticed turbo kits on a few sites as after-market kits, curious to how they perform on the 2.2 or 2.4
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

No I have a real SS. Special ordered and bought new 2010. The GMTU is a GM performance retune. 290 hp, 315 ft torque.

(Honestly, I feel a little insulted that you would even mention add-on's and such. Implying mine may be a fake SS is not a good way to get on my friends list)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
No I have a real SS. Special ordered and bought new 2010. The GMTU is a GM performance retune. 290 hp, 315 ft torque.

(Honestly, I feel a little insulted that you would even mention add-on's and such. Implying mine may be a fake SS is not a good way to get on my friends list)
Slap me silly, how rude, you're totally right... I should have realized such Beautiful Machine could not have been a fake SS. Beer Beer BEER!!, says Private, Merry Men are We!

Your SS is a nice one! I looked for a Red Panel, nice color for it HHR curves!
Impressive, 290hp/315tq... was stock 260 manual / 235 auto?
Last year of the SS, I assume you plan holding on to it for some time!

Your Friend
Old 03-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Still curious as to how the 2.4L performs with a turbo kit.
Is the bottom end the same for 2, 2.2 & 2.4... or does 2L get any forged & balanced OEM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Administrator

The 2.0 is bolstered for the turbo, the 2.4 and 2.2 kits are just the turbo and assorted parts to install , the M62 blower kit doesn’t include the blower, you have to find those .