Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I need detailed info for brakes and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Exclamation I need detailed info for brakes and...

I think I've been on here a few times with all kinds of problems that are hitting me all at once! I need to really get this HHR back on the road but I am terrified to bring it to any shop because we've been robbed/lied to on many occasions.

I would like to do this stuff myself. I need to learn somehow...

I JUST got my HHR back from being repaired at Crestview Paint and Body and the first thing I found out a few hours later was that my driver side Headlight is burnt out. It was working FINE the day I brought it in for repairs.

This shop also messed my passenger headlight up last year... The light beam faces the ground instead of being straight ahead of me. So now I am driving with one working headlight that doesn't even give me much light because it's facing down to the ground...

I have a replacement bulb I just bought. I would like to get detailed instructions on how to replace the burnt bulb and IF POSSIBLE, how to straighten the passenger headlight.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... Someone post Pictures of a step-by-step process?? I do not have a repair manual. I can't find one anywhere! And I learn best by SEEING things while reading the instructions.

Is there anyone that can help me out? This is just problem # ONE of several things I need done. But I want to do this one problem at a time!

I have tore threw several threads and while the details are great, I am at a complete road block without photos....
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

The search engine at the top is your friend. :)

Here is a link to pics for replacing the headlight - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=silverstar - pics are a fair ways down, so just scroll down till you see the pictures (Blue HHR)

For adjusting the headlight, open the hood - on the top of the metal inner fender, near the bottom of the hood opening struts, you will find a white nylon adjuster (it's pretty much above the rear of the headlight mechanism).

You need to use a HEX wrench on it (it needs a 6MM hex - but is not a torx socket) - one of the posters here said "If you turn it clockwise it raise the beam and if you turn it counterclockwise it will lower the beam."

Hope that helps
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, and don't forget, you should never touch the glass on the new bulb as it can cause hot-spots later which will shorten the bulb life. It's quite tight getting your hands up inside the fender liner, so it makes it fairly difficult not to touch the glass bulb accidently.

If you do end up mucking up the bulb with fingerprints etc., clean it off with alcohol using a dry cloth.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whopper
Oh, and don't forget, you should never touch the glass on the new bulb as it can cause hot-spots later which will shorten the bulb life. It's quite tight getting your hands up inside the fender liner, so it makes it fairly difficult not to touch the glass bulb accidently.

If you do end up mucking up the bulb with fingerprints etc., clean it off with alcohol using a dry cloth.
Put on a rubber glove when you are ready to put the bulb in.Keeps the fingerprints off the glass.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by kishasara
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... Someone post Pictures of a step-by-step process?? I do not have a repair manual. I can't find one anywhere! And I learn best by SEEING things while reading the instructions.
Copy of repair manual:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...5&postcount=52
Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
geg

Checking and adjusting the lights can be done in a darkened room, for example in the garage. Wall (we call it the screen), which will be held control or check should be vertical and have a bright rough surface. When checking the car must be placed on the floor so that its longitudinal axis perpendicular to the screen, then check each one separately, the right and left headlights (one of the headlights shut tight dark paper or cardboard).

- The direction of the light beams must be such that the road was well lit, and the oncoming car headlights do not dazzle.

- Put the car just 10 meters from the smooth, flat walls (of course, in front of the wall).

- But to start to prepare your car: check the tire pressure, adjust it to the optimum, check the lights in the headlamps, glass, etc.: defective parts - replace. Moved on 12-13 meters from the wall, rocking the car side to all the details of the suspension was the correct (working) situation. If needed, the width adjustment knob lighting set to zero. The car has to sit a man of about the same weight as a driver.

- Headlight need to spend in the Middle earth.

- Marks on the wall: note the two points corresponding to the center lights on at the same height from the floor and at the same distance from each other as centers of the headlights. Hold the line 1 between them. Line 2 to 1 on the parallel line 12 cm below a line of 3 to 22 cm below the line 1. Now I'm setting:

The upper limit of the light spots on the wall of the main headlights must be equal to line 2. The upper limit of the light spots fog lamps must be equal to line 3. Point of intersection of horizontal and inclined sections of the light spots must be kept at 12 and 22 cm below the points corresponding to the centers of the headlights.

I can not vouch for the accuracy of the translation, but all should be clear. And another thing: the picture wall distance of 5 meters, really - 10 meters.
Good Luck
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 AM

Now this is awesome

Originally Posted by geg
Checking and adjusting the lights can be done in a darkened room, for example in the garage. Wall (we call it the screen), which will be held control or check should be vertical and have a bright rough surface. When checking the car must be placed on the floor so that its longitudinal axis perpendicular to the screen, then check each one separately, the right and left headlights (one of the headlights shut tight dark paper or cardboard).

- The direction of the light beams must be such that the road was well lit, and the oncoming car headlights do not dazzle.

- Put the car just 10 meters from the smooth, flat walls (of course, in front of the wall).

- But to start to prepare your car: check the tire pressure, adjust it to the optimum, check the lights in the headlamps, glass, etc.: defective parts - replace. Moved on 12-13 meters from the wall, rocking the car side to all the details of the suspension was the correct (working) situation. If needed, the width adjustment knob lighting set to zero. The car has to sit a man of about the same weight as a driver.

- Headlight need to spend in the Middle earth.

- Marks on the wall: note the two points corresponding to the center lights on at the same height from the floor and at the same distance from each other as centers of the headlights. Hold the line 1 between them. Line 2 to 1 on the parallel line 12 cm below a line of 3 to 22 cm below the line 1. Now I'm setting:

The upper limit of the light spots on the wall of the main headlights must be equal to line 2. The upper limit of the light spots fog lamps must be equal to line 3. Point of intersection of horizontal and inclined sections of the light spots must be kept at 12 and 22 cm below the points corresponding to the centers of the headlights.

I can not vouch for the accuracy of the translation, but all should be clear. And another thing: the picture wall distance of 5 meters, really - 10 meters.
Good Luck
Nuff said.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Great Info! Just replaced the burnt bulb. The old one actually was broken, like someone purposely pulled it out, tried to snap the bottom plastic off and pushed it all back into the headlight.

Next, I'm working on adjusting the other beam from the ground. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

Now, question about the brakes. I think my Antilock brakes are messing up. If I slam on the brakes, my car skids bad. I've narrowly avoided accidents because of this. Is this covered under the powertrain warrenty??

Also, what brand of brake pads and rotors are best for the HHR.... Mine SUCK so bad it's not funny... I've read that they're poorly constructed (the brakes that is).
Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM

There are "x" marks on the headlights you can use and you can see them on the wall most of the time.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Founding Member

Confused here. The title says brakes but the issue is bulbs.