Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I now officially HATE my USB port on the radio....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 PM

I now officially HATE my USB port on the radio....

So if any people on here remember,some of us were having USB port problems reading a flashdrive.Some have had good luck. I tried 4 Kingston Data Travellers with no luck....worked for a day(some only one song) and then the radio says NO USB DEVICE. I found out GM has a bulletin out regarding this and an IPOD compatibility issue(It lists the IPODS that are not compatible). For flashdrives all it says is some are not compatible. Gee.......thanks.......Maybe you could actually test the USB system before you sell it in a car? Anyway,some guys on here were nice enough to list which exact flashdrive they use that is working. I bought 3 different ones last week.One of them I loaded up with music,popped it in and it worked!!......until today.It worked for 4 days.I tried it again and again and nothing......now I am going to try a PNY Attache 8gb which a user on here said he has no problem with. I also have a Sandisk on standby(but some on here said it worked while some said it did not.).Caddys and the new Camaro have had issues too.My car was in for service last week and they found nothing wrong.If this other flash does not work tomorrow,I am going to go nuts. I hate having something I want to use and it wont work. Typical crappy GM radios. I really hope this works tomorrow but even if it does.....how long? Forever? 1 day? 5 days? It's BS. These drives work in my PC with no problem....maybe the USB on the radio itself is no good...I dont know.......I'm done ranting......
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 PM

I myself have tried 5 drives and NONE work. Ordered my LAST one from ebay today based on another HHR user here. If that don't work...it's off to the dealer and I plan on saying........."Show me it works and Ill leave you alone and stop calling every hour".
Will post if it works.

Perry
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Its quite pathetic actually how GM put these in cars and most people are having problems.Dont they even test things before putting a product out? I worked for Chevy in a dealer for a loooooong time.Their radios have never been a strong point and they are never leaders in technology.Honestly,I am not surprised but it burns my @#ss that I have to keep buying different drives in hopes that one will work. I suspect this become a bigger problem for them in the coming months. Besides our HHR's, imagine spending your money on the Caddy CTS only to find out that the USB port hardly works. Its total crap. I was excited about my Bluetooth (Which has given me problems too) and USB option.........I am not at this present time. My radio had to be replaced at 149 miles because it just stopped working. Now this......it's ridiculous. Iv'e had my 09 since March and have yet to enjoy puttig a flashdrive in the USB and enjoying hours of music. I listen to ALOT of music so I was happy about the car having this option......Thanks GM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Founding Member

I sense a lot of rage here..hope it gets worked out.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I sense a lot of rage here..hope it gets worked out.
No......just frustration. I worked as a Parts Manager for 23 years in the Chevy dealer in our automall......I now work for our Acura store across the street doing the same. I've seen,and I'm sure you have too, alot of radios going bad. We shouldnt have to keep spending $20.00 on flashdrives until we HOPEFULLY find one that works.And if one does work,we dont if it will short term or long term. If your going to install USB's on radios,maybe there should be some type of testing to make sure all the popular names are compatible. It's going back to the dealer next week. Somthing needs to be done.

Update: 1. Then flash that was working for a few days but stopped working yesterday.....worked when I plugged it back in this morning......Of course,for how long is anyones guess.Thats the annoying part....not knowing how long it will last.
2. The other drive I bought is a PNY ATTACHE 8GB as a user on here had good luck using it. I plugged it in this morning and instantly it did not work....this time saying: DEVICE FAILED.......however it loads and works pefrctly in a PC.
I'm curious to know what other peoples errors are saying .

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 09-03-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
...Their radios have never been a strong point and they are never leaders in technology...
And they appear "sensitive" to it also, doing what they can to make it a pain in the butt for people go with aftermarket head units.

i.e. running door chimes, and turn signals through the radio. Sure, you can buy a special adapter harness, but you have spend extra ($100+) for that.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 AM

i know this may not be the case but could the flashdrives be in the wrong format? like if its formatted to FAT32 or NTFS or well there is a few others.... ya get the point though?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM

They are all in FAT32.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
And they appear "sensitive" to it also, doing what they can to make it a pain in the butt for people go with aftermarket head units.

i.e. running door chimes, and turn signals through the radio. Sure, you can buy a special adapter harness, but you have spend extra ($100+) for that.
I didnt spend that much on my adaptor, it was on sale when I bought the radio. I paid less than half price for it and it made the install really easy.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM

maybe there is a capacity issue I know no one wants to go smaller but has any one that is having troubles tried a 1 or 2 gb drive?

Quick Reply: I now officially HATE my USB port on the radio....