Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition Jamming

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Ignition Jamming

last week after using my remote, start entering my car I attempted to put my keys in and start the car. But the igintion would not turn. After turning off the car, and playing around for a few minutes, I finally got the key to turn, has this happened to anyone?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Sounds like a problem with the transmission interlock. the trans must be fully in "P" for the key to turn. Also, when the HHR is remote started, the trans will not shift out of "P" until the key is insterted and turned. Make sure your ride is fully in "P" when parking. If this problem persists, see your dealer and have them adjust the transmission interlock.

Hope it helps,
Old 08-26-2006, 10:20 AM

I had this happen once but wasn't using the remote start, just trying to get the key to turn in the ignition. I think what released mine, was jiggling the steering wheel. Seemed to have tension on one side as it was turned into a parking spot.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
jx3

I've had the opposite happen to me. Got home one afternoon, parked in the driveway as usual, put in park, and remove the keys. But the ignition would not release the key!! No matter what I tried, the keys were just stuck. Resigned myself to take to the dealer the next morning. But for some reason, when trying to remove the key in the evening, it came out as if nothing was ever wrong.
There have been several here that this has happened to.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by machinistlady
I had this happen once but wasn't using the remote start, just trying to get the key to turn in the ignition. I think what released mine, was jiggling the steering wheel. Seemed to have tension on one side as it was turned into a parking spot.
Same thing with mine.. just jiggle the steering wheel. GM has had a problem over the years with numerous different vehicles and the locking steering wheel! Still wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
I've had the opposite happen to me. Got home one afternoon, parked in the driveway as usual, put in park, and remove the keys. But the ignition would not release the key!! No matter what I tried, the keys were just stuck. Resigned myself to take to the dealer the next morning. But for some reason, when trying to remove the key in the evening, it came out as if nothing was ever wrong.
There have been several here that this has happened to.
Transmission interlock again. If this happens again, put the vehicle in gear again (D), then fully put it into "P" again. Should fix the problem.

Also, if the HHR is on a slope, the trans could be binding up from pressure. Using the parking brake (if properly adjusted to keep the car from moving), before moving the shifter into Park, should cure the problem. Same with the steering wheel above - a slight twist will release the key.

Hope it helps,
Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Transmission interlock again. If this happens again, put the vehicle in gear again (D), then fully put it into "P" again. Should fix the problem.
Hope it helps,
Actually it didn't help in the least. Between myself, my wife, and a friend, we must have shifted the shifter at least a hundred times, going through all the gears. Even went as far as to take a couple laps around the neighborhood, shifting through all the gears. It just gave up the key, without anyone having to jump through hoops, on a random attempt to get the key.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 PM

In that case I would return to your dealer and have the transmission interlock adjusted. There have been a few, isolated reports of interlock adjustment problems. This is sounding like one.

Hoep it helps,
Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM

there has been a slight problem with the cobalt/hhr ignition cylinders, i bet that's what it needs.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
In that case I would return to your dealer and have the transmission interlock adjusted. There have been a few, isolated reports of interlock adjustment problems. This is sounding like one.

Hoep it helps,
Had stopped at the dealer to report the problem. Hopefully they put it on file for future reference.

Quick Reply: Ignition Jamming