Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Inside door handle busted-again

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Well got the handle yesterday, was off today so I put it in. It is very easy, Total time less than 1hr. You need a 30 torx to remove 3 screws, 2 at the door pull and 1 at the broken handle. Remove a push pin that is on the left, I used a putty knife to get under the edge and then a wire cutter to get on both sides and pull it out, then using 2 putty knifes I slid them under the panel and gently but firmly pried, working my way around the panel untill all the pops relaesed or came out of their holes. Then disconnected the electrical connections. Took it in the house to climatize and used the bit they supply to drill off the old one. They provide instructions and they are very clear, in 5 min the old handle was off the panel and the new one was on, reinstalled the panel, 10 to 15 min max. Total actual time 1/2 hour, but it took longer because I had to figure out how to take the panel off, did not want to break any of the clips that are part of the panel. But once you see it you can do the next one in a heartbeat.

All it cost was $70. that included shipping. Save over $400 plus 1hr labor at dealer, what's that $70. I feel sorry for those people that cant do it themselves, because they are getting hosed by GM. Any good dealer worth their salt would offer to do this for the part and labor $140. The customer wouldn't feel like they are getting hosed, create some good will.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Just happened to me also. Wrote chevy and i go in on thrus for a look see i wioll tell u what they will do. Sorry about the caps computer key broke
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM

And now for the big question----is the replacement part the same crappy plastic or is it better (hopefully metal)?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Same plastic, part looks identical except for stampings from dorman and the like. If I didn't know better I would say it comes from the same mfr, just stamped different. Made in Taiwan
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

So it, too, will break. Too bad they did not make the replacement more durable. At the price of 70 bucks for plastic, that sounds pretty high. The entire door panel is around 300 and includes the electronic buttons, etc. This makes it seem like that tiny door pull is almost one quarter the cost of the whole big door panel.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
The entire door panel is around 300 and includes the electronic buttons, etc.
I very seriously doubt that price includes the window and door switches!
They are so easily moved to the new door panel, but if that price did include them that would explain the excessive price.

Too bad the part is again plastic.

I would have just removed the plastic pin for the door handle and replaced just the handle instead of the whole part supplied by Dorman.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM

No, the door panel does not include the window but I do believe it includes the electric switches, which I agree are unnecessary. For 70 dollars the replacement should be better quality IMHO. How much do you believe the manufacturing cost was for that cheap plastic piece? Huge mark up.

Keep in mind the cost of other things. I bought a nice Kodak digital camera for my daughter and it was under 60 dollars. Much more complex than that stupid door handle.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Potential/estimated volume is a consideration when determining price. I mean, hell, they're not supplying GM with 4 per car. If they produce and sell a couple thousand, they will be lucky, IMO.

Dorman problems estimates a rather low volume....but enough to provide a part with some profit. And then maybe an entry level for a new customer.

Also, consider it MAY be a different type of plastic......maybe even stronger....which may work to your benefit.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Can you pull a chevy hhr 2006 interior door handle from a rear door and move it to the drivers side door instead of buying another one?

This would save buying another one and if the rear doors are rarely used they wont be missed?

Have done extensive searching across different forums and have not seen this question and possible solution asked.

I appreciate the time and work all the posters on here put into making this valuable information public.

I contribute and post answers on different forums of a different type where I take before and after photos of the problem and post my tested solution with my methodology and details.

In other words, I know and appreciate the time solution providers put into forums.

=====================================

(note to moderator/admin - I posted this in how to guides and then found this thread for problem service. this is a possible workaround that I have not seen discussed and if it works can save many people (including me) a lot of money and hassle. Please remove one of my posts if this is outside the rules of the forums.)
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM

door handle

I just had mine replaced last month. it was under covered by dealer

Quick Reply: Inside door handle busted-again