Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Interior blower inop

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 PM

Interior blower inop

I have a 06 HHR that the interior fan doesn't work. I've repaired the hole under the hood a long time ago (which I learned to do in this forum. For several years the blower ran on high only. I know this was due to the resister getting wet. Also the connector to the blower motor got hot and kinda melted but still let the blower operate intermitently. For a very long time I carried a small rubber mallet and when the blower wouldn't work, all I had to do was slightly bang on the bottom of blower and would run great. Recently the banging stopped working to get it to run. The power plug had gotten so bad I finally had to replace it The blower worked fine. I put glove box back in and started pulling out of the garage and it quit running. I've replaced the BG3 fuse, the resister and the relay on passenger side fuse panel, checked with ohm meter all fuses under hood and passenger panels, all check good I hooked my charger to the two prongs on the blower and the fan runs on high. Thought I'd just put interupter switch in line and turn the fan on manually. But the wires get hot enough to melt. Is it control module or the fan? Anew control module is $235 bucks and the fan is really difficult to replace. Putting 12 volts to one side of interupter switch and hooking to orange wire to fan motor and grounding to brown wire at motor works fan, but melts wires. I know this is long but explains my delima. if the fan runs how could it be bad.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 AM

I think the reason for the melting is the bad resistor. The rest of the problem may be a hidden wire burned.

you could probably get a used control module for a lot less.

We have a couple of members parting out HHRs. Check the classifieds.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Send a PM to this member, David is a great guy and easy to deal with

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/clas...-silver-58539/
Old 10-10-2017, 04:07 PM

blower motor inop

can anyone tell me why that if i run a wire to the orange wire from the passenger side fuse box with 12 volts to one side of the blower motor terminal and ground the other blower terminal to ground, the fan runs on high but melts the wires???
Old 10-10-2017, 05:25 PM

I can.

Because the orange wire goes through the switch and the resister to GROUND.
The brown wire is hot.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 PM

wow dunbar, thanks a lot. Ive been working all this time.thinking the orange wire was the hot wire. lucky it didn't burn something else up. So here's what i've done. i hooked my battery charger to the fan motor terminals. fan runs on high and wires didn't get hot . ran for 15 minutes.Since motor runs ok, i believe the problem is in the expensive fan control module. Hooking a switch between a good hot wire and the fan terminal and other from the terminal to ground it should work. at least i can get through the winter.
Thank you so much for your help. Glad I joined web sight. will let you know when finished If I don't burn it to the ground first.

Last edited by rb.ctr.vance; 10-10-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 PM

More likely the resistor than the switch. The orange wire goes directly to the high speed resistor.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Who the heck is dunbar ?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Auto correct!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 PM

unplugged resister, measured 10.5 volts at existing brown wire. ran this to one side of motor. ran other side of motor to body ground. fan ran but blew BCM3 fuse. rechecked volts and grounds, replaced BCM3 fuse. Fan runs but this time I saw fuse get red and blow guess motor is bad buy pulling to much current. any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Interior blower inop