Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

interior lights out

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 AM

interior lights out

all of my interior lights suddenly went out tonight. the only thing that lights up is the radio display, and my gauge cluster. all the backlit buttons, door locks, window switches, radio buttons, steering wheel buttons, and even my boost gauge illumination, all gone. i tried using the dimmer switch, and nothing happens, the gauges and radio screen stay at full brightness, and no other lights come on, unless i go all the way then the interior lights will come on. i'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the dimmer switch? either way, i'm off tomorrow so i am going to go by the dealership.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM

bump. any ideas anyone? checked the fuse inside labeled something like "switch backlight" and it's good (2A). any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM

anyone?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM

the dealer your HHR taking you will be Chris.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Founding Member

I would think dimmer switch or BCM is causing the problem.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
the dealer your HHR taking you will be Chris.
umm..what?

ChevyMgr, the dimmer switch is seeming less likely to me now, because i discovered something new tonight. none of my "night time" lights are working. all of my running lights and such are gone. as i drive down the road at night, you can't see me from behind, it's just dark. the side markers, license plate light, everything that would normally function when it's dark, isn't working, and the lighting is acting like it's still daylight.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Founding Member

Did you find which fuse controls the exterior lights and check it? This could also be the multi function switch on the steering column or even the light sensor in the dash.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:02 PM

not yet. by the time i discovered this, it was too dark to look into it, and i didn't have access to a multimeter at the time. i will be checking it out today though.i'm going to go through and just check every fuse that has anything to do with lighting, and see if i can find one blown. if not, i already have an appointment set with my dealership. earliest they could get me in was Monday morning though. so if i can't figure it out by then, i'll take it to them.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM

well, i got into it today, and discovered when my car was at the body shop about a month ago, they apparently pinched the wires on my tail lights. my best guess is it wasn't bad enough to short immediately, but driving around caused enough vibration to finally get it. i forgot the fuse number, i can check and post it later as a reference for anyone who may find the same problem. it's a 10A in the under hood fuse block. fixed the pinch, replaced the fuse, and everything works.

Last edited by Yonash; 02-01-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 PM

Damn...get a different body shop...

Cajun / Al

Quick Reply: interior lights out