Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Intermittent Problem on 06 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Unhappy Intermittent Problem on 06 HHR

I just recently bought the 06 HHR. Occasionally it will chime 4 times followed by the dash display showing "power steering". Immediately after it slams into gears and lights up the "brake" and "ABS" lights on the lower dash. The torque converter was recently replaced, because they thought that was the issue, but clearly it wasn't. Has anyone come across this before?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Founding Member

What codes is it setting?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 PM

No Codes known at this time

Originally the code referred to a transmission issue. I was not told the exact code. The place where I bought the car had the transmission dropped out, and they replaced the torque converter. Unfortunately it now appears that this was not bad. It is taking weeks in between incidents for the issue to re-appear so I feel it is going to be really hard to find. I got my onstar diagnostic report yesterday, and it shows the car has no current issues.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Founding Member

I think you have a chafed or pinched wire, most likely in the engine compartment but could be in the dash harness.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the suggestion. I know at some point in time the HHR has had a hit on the front, and the radiator and front radiator bracket was replaced. I was thinking that since the reported issue always seems to start with "power steering" that there may be a break in a wire going to the power steering rack. I know it is going to be hard to trace, because it does it so infrequently.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Information Required on Replacing Steering Assist Motor

I have now seen several posts online giving the exact symptoms that I have. Most owners seem to have had the Steering Assist Motor replaced. I have heard that this is not too difficult to do yourself. Does anyone have a pdf copy of a 2006 HHR service manual that would give step by step instructions on swapping the motor and also showing the wiring harness for the motor.

Thanks

Alan
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Founding Member

Here is a link to replacing the power steering assist motor.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

I'm not sure why the ps motor heating up and setting a code, would affect your transmission. Very odd. Where are you reading about the motor causing this reaction from the transmission?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Follow up on steering issue

I have read in several posts that at the time the initial steering error is detected it causes the management computer to go into some sort of "safe mode". It seems that when in safe mode it causes the transmission to slam into gears.

If I pull over and turn ignition off for a few seconds and then back on it resets the computer and everything is ok again.

I guess things are starting to get worse as a few minutes ago the power steering failed and this time took several minutes to reset. It also caused the check engine light to come on. I will have to have someone check to see if it left a code.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM

additional information

I forgot to mention that after the initial momentary power steering failure as well as the transmission slamming gears it also randomly turns on all or any alarm lights on dash(ABS, Brake etc) and causes all the gauges to bounce around all over, including speedo and Tach. This all goes away after I turn off ignition, wait about 30 secs then turn back on.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Alan Cook
I forgot to mention that after the initial momentary power steering failure as well as the transmission slamming gears it also randomly turns on all or any alarm lights on dash(ABS, Brake etc) and causes all the gauges to bounce around all over, including speedo and Tach. This all goes away after I turn off ignition, wait about 30 secs then turn back on.
I would also be checking the underhood electrical center (fuse box) by what you just stated.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Problem on 06 HHR