Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key fob battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM

Unhappy Key fob battery life?

I've had my 06 HHR for a little over two years now and have replaced the key fob battery twice with the Energizer Battery. Does any one else find a short battery life in their key fob? My last car I had for seven years with the same key fob battery all that time.

Not that it is a pricey item, but to have the doors not unlock suddenly is frustrating. When you use the key to open the door, that sets off the alarm.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Still have the originals in my 06 and in my wifes 03 Mazda. Maybe when they are in your pocket the buttons are getting pressed.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM

The DIC is supposed to give a message if the key fob battery is low. I am having strange intermittent episodes where the fob will not unlock the door(s) until I try it several times, even if I am standing right next to the vehicle. There is no indication of fault in the DIC.

Old Lar - how did you determine if the battery needed replacement?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM

all of ours are still going strong
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM

I've had my fob stop working; swapped battery with my wife's fob and then mine worked and hers didn't. I thought the battery was dead, but then the next day both were working again and have kept working for a couple months.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 PM

I thought the Batt in my wife's fob (for her '05 Equinox) was dead. Put a new one in and nada. Took it apart again and realized there was gunk (carbon probably) between the contact on the button and the curcuitboard. I cleaned it with some electrical coonector cleaner and viola, worked great.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by kornellred
The DIC is supposed to give a message if the key fob battery is low. I am having strange intermittent episodes where the fob will not unlock the door(s) until I try it several times, even if I am standing right next to the vehicle. There is no indication of fault in the DIC.

Old Lar - how did you determine if the battery needed replacement?
The only thing I found was the doors wouldn't lock or unlock and the remote start wouldn't work. No indication on the DIC. Replacing with a new battery and all worked.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM

Autozone has a counter display that tests your FOB's. I rec'd 2 when I got the new 08 and one died about a month after I got it. On the 2nd one and all is well.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 PM

kornellred,
Take the back cover off and make sure that the battery clip is soldered down. My HHR fob recently quit working and the Uplander I drive at work had an intermittant failure and the battery clip was not soldered on one side on both fobs. My fob was replaced under warranty.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:08 PM

I have had the car 2 years and already had to replace the battery, I am primary driver so maybe I use it alot but like you I had a Bonneville I drove for 8 years never changed the battery in the FOB......Had no idea why the remote wouldnt open the door, used the key and setoff the alarm...thought I would never get it turned off.....I had to get in the car with the alarm going off and started the car it went off FINALLY...

Quick Reply: Key fob battery life?