Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Keyless entry quit working?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Question Keyless entry quit working?

I recently ran down the battery on my SS when I left it parked for over a week with the radar detector on. When I trickle-charged the battery back up it started fine a few hours later, but now neither of the keyfobs function. What would cause this? Do I need to reprogram them or something? I never had this happen on any GM I owned before... I did several searches on this subject, but am not coming up with anything.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Is the check engine light on?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 PM

No. Everything else works fine that I can tell. No dash indicator lights lit up... I used it all weekend and it is fine, but using the key in the door sucks!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM

OK, is found this post by C2Vette and I think this is the issue. If I have to pay the dealer to reprogram my BCM I am going to be POd! This should definitely not happen from just charging your battery.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ghlight=keyfob

The reason I think this is it when I read it, is that I no loger have the TPMS light illuminated and I should right now with my winter tires on there. I forgot about that till I read his post. Will call dealer in the a.m. I guess.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I recently ran down the battery on my SS when I left it parked for over a week with the radar detector on. When I trickle-charged the battery back up it started fine a few hours later, but now neither of the keyfobs function. What would cause this? Do I need to reprogram them or something? I never had this happen on any GM I owned before... I did several searches on this subject, but am not coming up with anything.
The RKE's (both) have to be re-programmed using a Tech 2 plugged into the ALDL (assembly line data link connector) under the steering column. A dealer should not charge for this. It will take 2 minutes.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 PM

No. Everything else works fine that I can tell. No dash indicator lights lit up... I used it all weekend and it is fine, but using the key in the door sucks!
Another dash indicator that will not light-up is the "security" light. It is set with the RKE.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ramos
The RKE's (both) have to be re-programmed using a Tech 2 plugged into the ALDL (assembly line data link connector) under the steering column. A dealer should not charge for this. It will take 2 minutes.
Talked to my local dealer today and he said it could be done for a min. charge of $49.95! When I asked him how long it would take he said about 20 minutes. Think I'll try the dealer I bought it from despite they are a 40 minute drive away...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Ramos
A dealer should not charge for this. It will take 2 minutes.
Nothing is free unless you do it yourself, have a friend who can do it, work in a dealership or shop that has a Tech II or you are under warranty. Dealerships are businesses and equipment costs money.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Nothing is free unless you do it yourself, have a friend who can do it, work in a dealership or shop that has a Tech II or you are under warranty. Dealerships are businesses and equipment costs money.
Yes, I can understand that. Everyone needs billable hours to stay in business...

I am more upset that I have to do this at all... In IMO this should never happen from just running your battery down and charging it back up again. So am I understanding this right that the battery is in the back and that is the only way it can be jump started or recharged without causing this to happen? Why do they even have that positive terminal with the red plastic cover under the hood then? It just seems like an obvious charging connection in my opinion...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Talked to my local dealer today and he said it could be done for a min. charge of $49.95! When I asked him how long it would take he said about 20 minutes. Think I'll try the dealer I bought it from despite they are a 40 minute drive away...
It would be nice to know exactly GM's position on re-programming RKE's. Here in Oshawa a dealer will do it, no charge. One of the service advisors or a parts employee takes a Tech 2 out to the vehicle in the yard and after a couple of beeps it's job done in all of 2 minutes. Not a good dealer who will not do that. Have both RKE's with you. Back when we were using OBD 1 systems the owner could perform this function by grounding out the appropriate terminal on the ALDL per written instructions in the owner's handbook but now with OBD2 it requires a hand held Tech 2. You can disconnect the battery without loosing key codes but to be safe don't connect an AC charger to the vehicles electrical system. Remove the battery to charge. Prior to removing the battery you could hook-up a host 12 volt battery to the remote terminals in the engine compartment or plug-in a memory code holder (9 volt battery) to a cigarette lighter or accessory plug. Read the instructions that come with the code holder. Did you activate the remote at any time when the charger was on charge? Nothing is simple anymore.....When removing or installing the battery do not let the ground strap toggle when making the connection. Make one quick direct connect to the battery post/terminal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry quit working?