Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Leather seats...grr

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Leather seats...grr

1,600 miles over warranty...

On the driver's seat, on the left side, there are 2 very small tears forming in the leather seat. It's so low on the profile of the seat it's nothing on my pants cutting it, and it's higher than the plastic shield that trims the seat.

I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't cleaning my car.
I'm sooooooo mad.

Any idea if...
1.) They would have treated this had I been at 35,000 miles instead of 37,000 miles?
2.) How is Chevy Customer Service these days - are they merciful? I once got my S-10's seat recliners (high failure rate part, 500 dollat repair) and a new battery from dealing with CS... but that was in better times.
3.) Any hints about how to 'repair' leather?
4.) Any advice?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 AM

Leather Seat Cracks/Tears

I have exactly the same problem with my leather drivers seat, in the same place. Keep in mind that the so called leather HHR seats are leather trimmed - not 100% leather. The material in this area is, I believe, urethane and not leather. I guessed that I was not the only one with this problem. I'm out of warranty, but only have 29K miles on the car. I believe this problem is caused by cheap materials and GM should cover the cost to repair or replace the seat cover. I'm going to contact their zone office with my complaint. Remember the old vinyl seats back in the 60s and 70s. They always tore, but it usually took longer than this latest GM variation. I've been a longtime fan of Chevy, but this may change my mind permanently. We'll see how they respond.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Administrator

phcoy, these seats wear, and tear, I have seen this in my friends cars from Lincolns and Caddys to Mercs and Infinities, that why I didn't get the leather seat option
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Gagarin - the warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles - whichever comes first. Being the car is a 2008(???) I think it's doubtful Chevrolet will cover it. However speaking to the service advisor at your dealership would not hurt. Even if they split the cost for the repair with you, that would be an awesome fair deal, in my opinion.

Leather can be varied in how it responds to the heat/cold/humidity of various climates so does require appropriate maintenance depending on the situation. I know I have let my leather seats dry out a bit in one of my cars, and they show some minor cracking which will lead to tearing in the future, so I have soaked them in conditioner. Hopefully that will help.

Best of luck on it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Most cars with leather seats are actually a mix of leather and vinyl. The parts of the seat you touch when you sit in the seat is leather, while the sides and back of the seats are often vinyl.
I think this is the way Chevy does it also. They can make vinyl look so much like leather that it is had to tell one from the other.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

^^^^^^Yep^^^^^^^

All you need to do is read an advertisement, manual or order list. It states, "LEATHER SEATING AREAS" or some other such foolishness.

Last edited by Snoopy; 05-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Leather Seat Tears

I fully agree, it says on the HHR window sticker - "Leather Surfaces" for the front bucket seats. And I do take care of the leather surfaces with regular leather treatment. The leather hasn't been the problem. The driver's side seat cushion, however, around the base of the seat where it's cracked, is not leather. I can plainly see a white cloth backing thru the cracks in the thin gauge vinyl. I've never seen leather use a cloth backing like this, but I have seen plenty of imitation leathers, like Naugahyde, use it. That's the only thing holding the seat together at the cracks. Any way you look at it, it points out "cheap", and I am disappointed in the quality.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Used to have a Ford Explorer(wifes) and a Saturn(daughters). Both had the leather seats. The Ford started cracking at 4 years with 50k miles. The Saturn had 2 ripped holes in the drivers seat at 3 years 45k miles.
Never was a fan of leather seats.
My 15 year old Dodge pickup, 162k miles, has cloth seats.They look brand new.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

The negative side affect of leather seats. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter are a couple of others. I doubt that if you had 15K miles on the car and it was a current year, GM would repair the seats under warranty. Just anther wear item that wasn't cared for properly would be the excuse.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 AM

My leather seats are over 4 years old now. I treat them every time I clean the car. I think I am using the Armor all leather treatment now. My seats look and feel new. I do use a towel on the drivers side from the head rest down. I get greasy at work. I did this with the leather on my CTS for 5 years. Those seats always looked new.