Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Left front speaker doesn't work and chime is very quiet

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Administrator

There’s only one Whopper in this site, and hmmm a Whopper Jr....

Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 AM

I recently noticed that the chime to remind me that the lights are on didn't work when I left the lights on after having to manually turn them on one foggy day. A quick check of changing the radio balance to the left side revealed no sound from the left speaker.

I bought a new factory Delco replacement door speaker and installed it. [Getting the door panel off was the hardest one I've ever removed.] I checked the contacts and tried the chime before installing the door panel. Now the chime works fine but the new speaker is not as loud as the right side. Now I suspect the radio has a problem as the chime seems to be loud. I don't know why the sound would be quieter from the radio that the chime. Maybe it's in the receiver portion not the amplifier. Maybe I should try a CD.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Or replace the other speaker, they die in either a pair or all four.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Technical Moderator

Because you need to adjust the balance? The chime is not adjusted by the knobs. Some years you can adjust the volume of the chimes in the setup.

Most of the chime sound should be coming from the tweeter. The signal goes to both but the tone should be filtered out of the speaker via the crossover.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Because you need to adjust the balance? The chime is not adjusted by the knobs. Some years you can adjust the volume of the chimes in the setup.

Most of the chime sound should be coming from the tweeter. The signal goes to both but the tone should be filtered out of the speaker via the crossover.
I didn't have any chime sound until I changed the door speaker. I have to set the balance halfway between the center and full left to get what sounds like balanced sound. If I set the balance to full right, the right speaker is probably twice as loud as going to full left.

I guess I'll change the left tweeter too in case it's shorted as it's connected in parallel. I guess I can disconnect it to try that first. I hope the trim clips aren't as difficult to remove there. I thought I was going to have to take the door panel off in pieces. My Chevy pickup comes apart much easier.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe you should look through the how-to section. Or youtube.

The door panel is easy; 2 screws, one rivet and several tabs.

Your situation is opposite of most. Usually it is no sound from speaker but the tweeter works

from previous posts on the subject:

Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by db2006
I didn't have any chime sound until I changed the door speaker. I have to set the balance halfway between the center and full left to get what sounds like balanced sound. If I set the balance to full right, the right speaker is probably twice as loud as going to full left.

I guess I'll change the left tweeter too in case it's shorted as it's connected in parallel. I guess I can disconnect it to try that first. I hope the trim clips aren't as difficult to remove there. I thought I was going to have to take the door panel off in pieces. My Chevy pickup comes apart much easier.
Did you verify the ohm's on each speaker to be the same. What your describing is usually because of a mis match of ohms.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Administrator

One of these sure helps with the door panel retainer pins

Old 12-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
Did you verify the ohm's on each speaker to be the same. What your describing is usually because of a mis match of ohms.
That's why I bought the Delco factory replacement speaker. I didn't know if they were still using 16 ohm speakers but the factory speakers are 4 ohm. The replacement was an exact match.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
One of these sure helps with the door panel retainer pins

Have one. The clips are in too far to reach easily. I was able to force it in but it bent and the clips didn't come out.

I had to use two of these;

Quick Reply: Left front speaker doesn't work and chime is very quiet