Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Lifter noise?? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/lifter-noise-63636/)

RJ_RS_SS_350 09-28-2020 07:29 PM

I see it too, oldblue. The timing chain is loose.

donbrew 09-28-2020 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stumann (Post 901753)
I do read the replies. If it were the timing chain, why does it quiet down to normal within a minute of the first start in the morning and never make any noise the rest of the day? I would think a worn chain would be noisy all the time. Also, isn't all that sludge an indication that the engine is near the end of it's life?

Because that is the way heat and metal and lubrication works. P0014 does NOT mean the sensor or the VVT valve is bad, it means the sensor is working and telling you that the chain is loose.

All that sludge indicates that the oil has never been changed. It is not good, it can affect the VVT valve performance etc. BUT, your main problem is a bad timing set.

Oldblue 09-29-2020 07:08 AM

I think that is Dino oil residue, synthetic is a different colour.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...08d98f01c.jpeg
This chain triggered my P0014, note the oil colour, I run 5w30 full synthetic Dexos Castrol Edge

Stumann 09-29-2020 07:38 AM

I have been faithful with my oil changes based on the oil life percentages, however sometime it seemed like I went 5K to 7K miles in between changes. And I would change it when it got down to between 35% or 40%. Yes, all I used was petroleum oil. If this T'Chain replacement works out, it's time for a serious engine flushing.

Oldblue 09-29-2020 07:58 AM

I used that Marvel Mystery oil, once to clean out the Dino oil.

PulpFriction 10-06-2020 10:05 AM

I had a 2008 LS that began to make chain noises on startup, 90K miles, maybe? Was totally prepared to have the chains done, but because it had the old timing chain tensioner, I decided to try upgrading that first. It worked. Apparently the old tensioner has stopped tensioning.

RJ_RS_SS_350 10-06-2020 02:18 PM

You've bought yourself a little time. The new tensioner has marginally more travel than the old design.

Stumann 10-18-2020 03:14 PM

I just thought I'd post a follow up on my "lifter noise". I replaced the timing chain, tesioners, guides, etc. (kit from O'Reilly's). Nothing showed any visible signs of wear. I did change the oil when I did the timing chain and added a few ounces of Seafoam to the oil. I did not replace the timing cam gears since it is the VVT system, that was another $200. When I first started it after the install, there was a lot of noise for about 5 seconds, then things quieted down,but not gone completely. I drove it around, maybe 10 miles, and it got very quiet, however that was the way it reacted before I installed the new timing chain. During that first test drive, I did have one incident of the Check engine light coming on, the same code P0014 but haven't had it since. The next morning, some noise at start up, but not near what I was experiencing before. I put 500 miles on it and things seemed to get better every day. I just changed oil again, this time no Seafoam, and it seem to be doing very well (knock on wood). Except for that first day, no more check engine light and no more noise. Thanks for everyone's help, I don't think I would have suspected the timing chain if not for you guys.

Oldblue 10-18-2020 04:10 PM

The VVT system may have needed that new oil and Seafoam to clean out the solenoids and the cam phasers, and now they are cleaned up and much happier!

Stumann 10-19-2020 09:01 AM

That's what I suspect. I have always changed oil faithfully, but I also have a shop on my rural property that I drive back and forth to almost daily. Unfortunately that drive is only about 1000 ft one way. I think that is probably bad to drive such a short distance and never allowing the engine to reach operating temperature. It's only a few days a week that I drive somewhere long enough to warm the engine properly. Probably the cause of all the sludge in the engine. Time to invest in a golf cart.