Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lifter noise??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:38 PM

Lifter noise??

I have a 2007 HHR 2.4 with 230,000 miles. I've had it for many years and always kept it well maintained. A little over a week ago, I started it in the morning and I heard a lot of what sounded like lifter noise. Along with that, it was running poorly. Within a few minutes, the noise subsided and the car ran good again, but I had a check engine light on. It was the code P0014. I did a little research and many people indicated that it may be the exhaust variable timing solenoid. I replace it and changed the oil, even though it was still a 68%. The car ran great the rest of the day, but the next morning, the same lifter noise and then the check engine light, same code P0014. I am, and always have, used the correct weight oil (5W30). I see a lot of problems reported with the timing chain tensioner and I looks like it's a fairly easy repair, but I don't want to start throwing parts needlessly at this of I can help it. My question is has anyone had this problem occur and what was your solution? Could I have a bad lifter causing this problem? I tried doing a search for threads about lifter noise, but nothing came up. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Administrator

My P0014 code in my 2011 2.4 , was a loose timing chain
Old 09-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Yes, p0014 is the timing chain. Do not crank the engine anymore, at risk of destroying the engine.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:20 PM

NOT lifter noise, timing chain rattle.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM

This morning I bought a timing chain tensioner and valve cover gasket set. This is what I found when I pulled off the valve cover. Not good.

I put it back together with the new tensioner, no inprovement. The only problem I have is there is noise (Lifters? loose timing chain?) for about 1 minute after a cold start. The rest of the day, it sounds fine. I'm pretty sure I have some clogged up oil galleries due to all that sludge. I could live with that for a while if it didn't trip this P0014 engine code during that time the engine makes noise. Anyway, I changed the oil and I put some Seafoam in the oil, I'm going to run it for a few hundred miles and change the oil again. Maybe several times doing this will help. P.S. Anyone want to buy a 2009 HHR Half panel with SS wheels? Just needs engine!

Old 09-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Administrator

It’s not the engine just the timing chain and front guide! The new style tensioner is for the rear or the timing chain, it’s the front guide that breaks .
Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM

I get the feeling Stumann isn't reading replies. Maybe shouting will help. IT IS THE TIMING CHAIN. Rattle that goes away after warm up is a classic symptom. Replace both chains verrrrry soon or you will need a new engine, for sure.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:09 PM

I do read the replies. If it were the timing chain, why does it quiet down to normal within a minute of the first start in the morning and never make any noise the rest of the day? I would think a worn chain would be noisy all the time. Also, isn't all that sludge an indication that the engine is near the end of it's life?
Old 09-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Administrator

The oil seems to have been left in to long, but that can be cleaned out with Seafoam , Mystery oil, or I’m sure there are others.
it appears to me , but the angle is hard to tell the timing chain looks slack, could be the front guide broke.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 PM

Since the overwhelming majority seems to feel it's the timing chain, that my project for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Lifter noise??