Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

love my car, TONS of problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Banned

love my car, TONS of problems

hi y'all- this is my first post, and i just wanted to give a rundown of all my trouble, its been nagging at me, so maybe someone can help and console me a little.

so i purchased my hhr used, its a 2010 it had 30k miles... i saw it on the lot and KNEW i had to have it. So, she was mine. the first year i had ZERO problems, only love for my electric blue baby.

Then one day while driving, my radio shut off, all the gauges went to 0, and all the sounds stopped working(turn signal clicks, and seat belt dings) right away i drove it to the dealership, and they kept it for 2 days and were not able to duplicate the issue i was having. alright, just a crazy fluke. sure it happens.

Then no troubles for a year, then my key got stuck in the ignition! while the car was running! i found out that was a recall, and was fixed with zero charge. then my airbag light, and check engine lights came on. airbag light fixed itself, but to this day check engine light is on.

i have it checked with a code reader, and it always comes back "check gas cap" so i bought a new one, and was told by auto parts store, that once the problem is fixed, after 50 starts, the light would go out.... NO. it's still on.

fast forward a little, my drivers side rear window doesn't work at all, the passenger rear window will go down, but not up....and every time it rains, i get a huge puddle in the passenger floor, and you can see where water has ran down by the rear-view mirror, I've recently bought some sealant, so i'm hoping that problem is fixed.

this past summer i also got a card from chevy saying my car had 4 recalls to repair, so i took it in.. all SHOULD be well there.... A few weeks ago, i couldn't get out -- a piece inside the door latch had broken off, and i had to reach out the window to get out!! NOW- my drivers side power seat is stuck all the way back(i had to crawl behind the radio to reset my remote start & had to scoot the seat all the way back) and then pull the positive on the battery, and it doesn't move forwards or backwards.

the lumbar support works, so i know the seat has power-- and as far as i can see/feel theres nothing stuck jamming the seat. i also replaced the power seat fuse, and it still doesn't work. i'm THISCLOSE to paying my car off, and i LOVE it - but dangit! i've never had to have so much fixed on a car in my life!

Last edited by Lucky; 02-15-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 PM

Like to help you, but that is an instant headache. Please, a few sentences, and then hit enter twice for double space. And a capital letter to start each new sentence please.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 PM

Welcome to the site

I did some edit work to your post to make it a bit Easier to read.

You will find a lot of info on this site. Use the search bar at the top of the page.

Can you post the code number you are getting? Not just check gas cap.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 AM

Yes, to the site!! Thank you Lucky!

OK, so we're gonna wait for you to get the code read and post the number up here, as well as which engine your car is equipped with, and how many miles are on it. You mentioned remote start, so that means you have an automatic transmission.

Your rear windows - do they not work from the master driver's control, but work from the control on the individual door(or vice-verse), or do you get the same result from both master and individual controls?

Since you've got a 2010, that means you have a moonroof. They are not sealed from the weather, but they have drain tubes set up to carry away the water that does get in, I think there's one on each corner. These drain tubes can become plugged, and then the water backs up and leaks into the car. Check out this thread.

You're gonna have to remove the door panel the find out why the door won't open from the inside. About the seat, I see at least 4 connectors under there. Just because you have power to lumbar, doesn't mean all the connections are good. Maybe by unplugging one connector at a time, you can determine which one controls seat movement, then test that one.

When disconnecting the battery, please pull the negative cable. When you mess with the positive cable, you risk grounding the battery out(very bad!).

I hope you get it all fixed, and congrats on almost having it paid off!!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Technical Moderator

"i had to crawl behind the radio to reset my remote start "

What???

The "check gas cap" may mean the EVAP vent valve or the charcoal canister are broken, depending on the actual code. Usually a bad gas cap will trigger a message on the DIC, "check gas cap".

The 2 halves of the fuse box probably have jiggled loose, or the large red cable is loose.

Oh! Welcome!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

RJ_RS_SS_350
Your quote:"Since you've got a 2010, that means you have a moonroof."

That only applies to the 2010 SS's which all came standard with moonroof. I don't think the OP has a SS.
Don't know if the OP have a moonroof or not.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
RJ_RS_SS_350
Your quote:"Since you've got a 2010, that means you have a moonroof."

That only applies to the 2010 SS's which all came standard with moonroof. I don't think the OP has a SS.
Don't know if the OP have a moonroof or not.
Wow, all the times I've seen you post this, and I forgot you were referring to SS. Whoops.

On second thought, if water is running down by the rearview mirror, it's probably not the moonroof anyway. It's probably either the windshield or the antenna. Well, I guess it could be a moonroof problem, too.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Not to be a smart a** or make light of the situation, but don't they call that center section of the dash "the waterfall"? In this case it is. I would have to agree RJ, if no moon roof it would have to be the windshield, antenna, or if it has a roof rack it could be leaking around one of the rack mounts and running down the headliner.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Banned

sorry ive been missing guys.

i just have a plain hhr lt, it doesnt have a moon roof, and i had to go behind the radio where the remote start is plugged in, 130k miles
i fixed the seat issue by pilling the plastic part apart from the seat and making sure the switch was plugged in.. Go me but the remote start is fixed also. my best friend does installations for a living, so was able to give me directions on how else to fix it.

i dont know the specific "gas cap" code, just that's what i'm getting, along with a message on my dash that says "check gas cap"

i've since used a sealant around my windshield and door, but am waiting for a rain, since all we've had is snow, it's hard to tell if it worked.

my rear window problem doesn't work on either switch, rear or main.

Quick Reply: love my car, TONS of problems