Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

low tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 PM

low tires?

ok so far yall have been great, lets try this one... i checked the tires today, had about 15 in on tire, 22 in 2 tires and 31 in on tire... i know in out pt it never held air at full 30-32 pounds for more then a week, do the HHR's suffer from the soft shoe mallady as well? since we have only had it 2 weeks i am a little worried that either they didnt check this at the dealer or worse is that they put in air and we lost that much in 2 weeks! i know as soon as i can the good for nothing's are coming off and ill probably buy what ever is on sale at discount tire since even the cheapest tires they carry are better then good years...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 PM

I had some problems with 1 tire, but when I put nitrogen in over 3 mths ago the problem is now gone. The Dealer most likely did not have them checked and filled.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 PM

My advise would be this:Buy a quality gauge and check your tire pressure weekly.Don't take someone's word for it,even your dealer,because mistakes can and will happen.Inflate your tires to the cold pressure printed on the door jam sticker.Did I mention buy a quality gauge and check the pressure weekly?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM

hmmm i think ill check pressure weekly, i have a tire gauge, never felt the need for top o the line... im not racing anymore...lol
now nitro might be the way to go, but not on these tires, i absolutley HATE goodyears, we had them on the pt when we bought it, it rode rough and shook going down the road, but the alignment was good and etc.... changed oyut the good for nothings and ill be a monkeys bald butted uncle no more shake, no more teeth rattle in the ride, nothing... i think the only way good year stay in business is they have contracts with the auto companies...

ok rant done... thanks for the advice as always!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting comments Rebel....

But you know, your asking for help, without even knowing if you need it. Your car is 2 weeks old, and this is the first you checked the tires? So maybe they were delivered that way.....which is a dealer/seller bad.

You have Goodyears on an HHR. That's interesting since they come from the factory with Firestones (which in most peoples opinion are far worse than Goodyears....think roll over crashes). Did you purchase your vehicle used??

What wheels do you have on the car? GM did experience porosity problems with some of the aluminum wheels.

Buying a GOOD tire gauge is a worthy investment. Most of the "ribbon" gauges are off 2-5 pounds. A good digital is 10-20 bucks and will last forever, if you take care of it.

I support HonestBlues suggestion. I check my tires weekly and lose maybe 1-2 pounds on a monthly basis (aluminum wheels). However, if you live in an area that experiences large changes in overnight temperatures you may see different readings. Try to fill the tires to recommended levels when the air is cooler, usually the early morning, and check again several days later about the same time. Oh, and make sure you have not used the vehicle for several hours before checking.....driving will heat the air and cause expansion, which raises pressure.

But ultimately, if you purchased the car from a dealer, have them check for the problem.

Hope some of the info helps...
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 AM

I check the tire pressure on our HHR every 2 or 3 weeks.They all might lose a couple of pounds all around when its cool here, but this time of year they all seem to hang right in there at 31/32 lbs. These are the OEM Firestones.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Mine came from the dealer with 41lbs in three and the last one was at 20. Go figure...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 AM

Mine had 26 in each tire when I bought it...no wonder the ride was really soft driving home lol

Goose
Old 07-05-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I check the tire pressure on our HHR every 2 or 3 weeks.They all might lose a couple of pounds all around when its cool here, but this time of year they all seem to hang right in there at 31/32 lbs. These are the OEM Firestones.
Tire pressure will vary with temperature. Heat air up it expands. cool it and it contracts.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Probably the valve stems that are leaking. Insist that the dealer replace all four valve stems under warranty and I bet that stops the problem. If dealer refuses, it is not all that expensive of a procedure for a tire shop to do, and they can installed an upgraded stem that might be of higher quality anyhow.

Quick Reply: low tires?