Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

LR Window Won't Go Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM

LR Window Won't Go Up

Hope you guys can help me. 2008 HHR, LR window would not operate from front master switch. I was able to put it down with the rear switch, but when I went to raise it, neither switch worked. Fuse is good. Checked connections on both the master and the rear switch. Looked at the schematic, tried jumping rear switch, nothing or I did it wrong. When pressing down on rear switch, I can hear noise like it is trying, but window is all the way down. I am desperate now. I have been working on it all day and pouring over the forum, but no luck. Is there a way to get the window up manually? I have the door panel off. I just need to get it closed so I can go to work at a new job tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

If you have the door panel off, you should be able to tell if the motor is working. If it is, then I would think something is broken or stripped on the mechanism.

With the door panel off you should also be able to manually reach in and push the window up. Might be a little tough if you have to push against a dead motor. That is, providing there's no broken parts jamming it.

Just be careful and don't get your fingers or hand crushed in there.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If you have the door panel off, you should be able to tell if the motor is working. If it is, then I would think something is broken or stripped on the mechanism.

With the door panel off you should also be able to manually reach in and push the window up. Might be a little tough if you have to push against a dead motor. That is, providing there's no broken parts jamming it.

Just be careful and don't get your fingers or hand crushed in there.
I am guessing a jammed motor at this point because I couldn't get the window to budge. Odd thing is, when pressing down on rear switch, motor makes a sound. When pressing up, nothing so I thought switches. I just need to get it shut. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Technical Moderator

Jump the switch? That would tell if it's the switch or motor.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Jump the switch? That would tell if it's the switch or motor.
I jumped both switches.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM

I ended up having to disconnect window from assembly, then disconnect the cable part from the motor so I could slide it up the rail then reattach cable part. Only way I could figure out how to get the window raised with the jammed motor.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Technical Moderator

Try NAPA for a new window lift mechanism or motor, they have a lot of them better than dealer price.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

The name of the part that attaches to the window is the regulator. Looks like a new one with motor is running around $100 online.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 PM
e99

Originally Posted by MarkSTeinCA
I ended up having to disconnect window from assembly, then disconnect the cable part from the motor so I could slide it up the rail then reattach cable part. Only way I could figure out how to get the window raised with the jammed motor.
Hi Mark, did you ever figure out the cause of the problem? I am having the same issue now. Any insight on what you did to get it working again would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Technical Moderator

That was almost 5 years ago. You would be better served starting your own thread with your specific problem. The OP's problem was evidently a bad motor that he did not want to replace.

Quick Reply: LR Window Won't Go Up