Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Midas..the garbage touch !

Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Midas..the garbage touch !

I was out of town..wife gets a groupon for Midas oil change.. She says "just oil change" they recommend over $1700 in repairs..including odd brand tires for $900. Not happy she demands just the oil change. She told me they practically threw her keys to her..
Check engine light on,, I came home yesterday. She hasn't driven in a week..using my Ridgeline.Came back on here..GREAT forum !
So..car starts running poor.. I bought good air filter and cabin filter..I have a cheapie code reader..P1516 and 2176..googled the codes.
Air filter seems it was "checked" the screws all loose..the cover flopping around and cold air hose ripped and shoved behind cover. the grommet mount bracket broken on passenger side.
. NEVER..never go there again.. No reason to complain..they will deny everything. I managed a 11 dealer chain..Saturn my last stop in car biz..
Wife loves her HHR..we find it excellent around town or Tucson to Breckenridge Co..
Well..it kept me from fixing the blown U Joint on my resto mod..53 Stude 383SBC etc). Lit up the tires one to many times..buying filters for HHR. so..didn't get to work on it..but her Red HHR is excellent..159,000 miles..

If any one here works at a Midas..maybe your's is different. I had bad experience years ago. NEVER AGAIN..
Could this be why it's missing..with decreased engine power..? Felt from inlet hose..mixed with gummed gas..and filt dust.. She drove maybe 150 miles in town,,Tucson dust..

Filter looks like a moron forced it back on UPSIDE down.. Cleaned MAP..obviously cleaned the TB and runs perfect..
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Yes, that is an extremely filthy TB! The ultimate cause of the codes, it may have broken something else in the TB.
Midas is pretty famous for that kind of experience, along with fake repairs; ATF flushes that never get done etc. AND unplugging MAF sensors on purpose.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by parts
I was out of town..wife gets a groupon for Midas oil change.. She says "just oil change" they recommend over $1700 in repairs..including odd brand tires for $900. Not happy she demands just the oil change. She told me they practically threw her keys to her..
Check engine light on,, I came home yesterday. She hasn't driven in a week..using my Ridgeline.Came back on here..GREAT forum !
So..car starts running poor.. I bought good air filter and cabin filter..I have a cheapie code reader..P1516 and 2176..googled the codes.
Air filter seems it was "checked" the screws all loose..the cover flopping around and cold air hose ripped and shoved behind cover. the grommet mount bracket broken on passenger side.
. NEVER..never go there again.. No reason to complain..they will deny everything. I managed a 11 dealer chain..Saturn my last stop in car biz..
Wife loves her HHR..we find it excellent around town or Tucson to Breckenridge Co..
Well..it kept me from fixing the blown U Joint on my resto mod..53 Stude 383SBC etc). Lit up the tires one to many times..buying filters for HHR. so..didn't get to work on it..but her Red HHR is excellent..159,000 miles..

If any one here works at a Midas..maybe your's is different. I had bad experience years ago. NEVER AGAIN..
Could this be why it's missing..with decreased engine power..? Felt from inlet hose..mixed with gummed gas..and filt dust.. She drove maybe 150 miles in town,,Tucson dust..

Filter looks like a moron forced it back on UPSIDE down.. Cleaned MAP..obviously cleaned the TB and runs perfect..
Just as bad as firestone had a oil changed one time drove off get about two blocks down started smelling oil I’m like wtf pulled over open the hood oil all over cap siting there pretty as can be .. I went back to them see the manager there and I said come here and take a look open the hood and oil all over .. the monkey comes out and looks and I said a 11 year can do a better job and then he started playing with the spark plug wires and then I went off and get the **** away from the car because you don’t even know what your doing ..call district manger I told him your lucky I’m a guy and knew what was going on and stop .. otherwise you would be buying a new engine .. never again
Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

midas is a hack joint. I was between jobs as a young lad & took a job @ midas. 1st thing I was taught was whenever you rack a car, get the squirting oil can & squirt a couple shocks, then bring out the owner & show them, "they need new shocks"......

I left after that lesson.......................
Old 03-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Jiffy Lube is no better. Had a free oil change their. Broke cold air intake hose. Cracked oil filter cap. And left with CEL on. NEVER AGAIN !!!
Old 03-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Administrator

It’s still true today, if you want something done right! Do it yourself!
But if you can’t, it’s hard to find a competent mechanic!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM

That is horrifying! Ever since the Midas place near my office told me "we don't do mufflers anymore" I have wondered why they are still in business.

As to chain operations, I have been using and trusting and been 100% satisfied with Pep Boys for years. I generally only use my local guys (I know them all and they know me as a "car guy") but I have had good results with other locations in some situations.
Not saying your Pep Boys are as good as mine, but they have regional guys who check up on each location regularly.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It’s still true today, if you want something done right! Do it yourself!
But if you can’t, it’s hard to find a competent mechanic!
True words.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 AM

One of my son's took his F150 into Midas I think for a oil change ! Said he need brakes and a radiator hose ! They gave him a ext of around $1500.00 :O MY PT retirement job is in a auto parts store,I picked up Premium pads WAGNER OEX and the new coated rotors. Him and a buddy installed them for a cost of 300$ A buddy went to a different Midas shop and they hosed him 1300$ for a front brake job :O , My daughter went to a Jiffy Lube and they tried to up sell her for a bunch of things, I warned her years ago that when they try and up sell you just say your father will take care of it :O V.I.Pin a different town tried to upsell my daughter about 900$ during a inspection :O Took car to her regular mechanic and GREAT shop said all that not needed fixed the minor issue for about 250$ so the scammers are out there and there has been some stories on TV about a lot of places where they are told to Up Sell
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
That is horrifying! Ever since the Midas place near my office told me "we don't do mufflers anymore" I have wondered why they are still in business.

As to chain operations, I have been using and trusting and been 100% satisfied with Pep Boys for years. I generally only use my local guys (I know them all and they know me as a "car guy") but I have had good results with other locations in some situations.
Not saying your Pep Boys are as good as mine, but they have regional guys who check up on each location regularly.

Thays crazy, They don't do mufflers anymore. Geez

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midas..the garbage touch !