Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

More clutch problems..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM

More clutch problems..

About a month ago I was on my way to work at about 5:30 am and I got 2 blocks from my house and my clutch stuck to the floor.. I had to shut it off and drift over to the side of the road and I called my husband who came and pulled it back out with his hand. It has happened several times since, maybe 1-2 times per week. It's at the dealership again now. We again have GM monitoring the service being done on it. I've had it for just over 6 months and this is the 6th time we've had it in! Ugh.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Welcome - Welcome - Welcome

Could be a weak clutch pedal return spring or the pedal mechanism may have a bind in it that is not allowing it to return on its own. Always keep GM Customer Assistance in the loop with all reoccurring issues . I had a reoccurring issue with my 07' and asked GM Assistance what the policy was for GM buying my vehicle back - testing the water per say . I was told that if my vehicle was still within the 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Warranty, that if I had "the same issue" reoccurs more than "three times", that if the issue was documented at a GM Service Shop each time, and the issue was not able to be remedy - then GM might think about buying my vehicle back . Unfortunately, by the time they got around to telling me this I already had 38,000 miles on my HHR . Since I love having my HHR and the versatility of the vehicle :twothumbs - I have learned to deal with the occasional squeak, rattle, thump, and other minor things. Good luck on getting you issue resolved.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome...

Sounds like either your hydraulic clutch "slave cylinder" & /or clutch "master cylinder" is shot..

Best to replace both at the same time.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM

They still have it and as of today all we know is that they ordered some parts regarding the clutch. Our guy isn't in today so we couldn't get any real information, but they were able to recreate the problem and they said there is something seriously wrong with the clutch. This is the 2nd time we have gotten GM involved. We have talked to a lemon law lawyer guy and he said we have a case, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable going down that road. I guess we'll see what happens. They had us bring back the Malibu they gave us as a loaner and put us in a Traverse cuz they said it's going to be awhile..
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM

The getrag trans in the HHR & the Vue (same one - I think its called the MG3 or F23 by GM) has had a spotted history of slave cylinder failures. Usually its not a big deal to repair in most cars but the way they designed these you have to remove the transmission to replace the slave cylinder. I agree with sleeper, might want to replace both master & slave.

Ultimately if you don't have it repaired it will destroy your clutch too...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM

So they replaced the master cylinder.. then on our way home it was making a horrible whining sound and it was still crunching into reverse so they had us bring it back again. I had it home for a day. They said this time they plan on pulling out the tranny. I'm starting to hate this thing.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hang in there, hopefully they will change the slave this time too..

Tho that wouldn't make a whining sound. Too low of fluid could.. But let them have another shot at it.. What else can ya do..

After they work on it this time, test it thoroughly in their lot & don't head home till it seems right.. Test reverse & everything..
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Mad!

sexylikeapeanut - I just bought a Chevy HHR 35 days ago and the clutch burnt up already. Its fried! I had to have it towed to the shop last night. It did the same thing, the gears started grinding when I tried to shift and then the clutch just sunk to the floor. It gave no resistance at all. It's completly fried. I really seriously hope I dont have to go through what you have been going through! Please tell me everything is ok now!? Any advice?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Well my friends 2008 ss manual is doing the same thing the clutch is going to the floor and having hard time to get into first gear and reverse brake fluid was low so he put more fluid in it but seems to loosing it some-ware ,so i was wondering if it is still cover under the 100,000 miles warranty? Since there talking about the salve cylinder being bad and have to pull the trans to get to it should be cover ? any inputs ,trying to help a friend out.....