Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

More headlight fun!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:33 PM

More headlight fun!

Okay this is long-winded, so bear with me. Last week my driver's side low beam headlight on my 2009 HHR went out. Not knowing this had a fuse(until today, but I just checked and it's fine), I decided to buy the bulbs and have my local mechanic replace both at once. Before the low beam went out, in the Auto setting, my DRL's would come on when the engine started, and stay on until I clicked the fob to lock my vehicle after turning off the engine. Now, after both bulbs were replaced, the DRL's only come on when the HHR is in gear, and they go off in Park. Also, previously, when in Auto mode, I could push in the high beam switch and get high beams. Now, after both bulbs were replaced, I have to rotate the end of the stalk to the Lights On position for my high beams to come on. I searched in here a bit, and weirdly, it seems like these new behaviors are the norm, but I got used to it doing what it did previously, and I wanted to ask the big brains here if I'm missing something, like a drive cycle or an "ignition cycle" that the manual mentioned. (Also: looks like my underhood fusebox has a jumper wire coming through the firewall to a certain yellow fuse, but no idea why.)
And again, apologies in advance, I looked at several DRL/lighting-related problems, but I didn't see anything related to what's going on here. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Technical Moderator

There is a link to a free online Owner Manual that will explain the intended behavior.

It depends on the ambient light which lights come on in auto mode.

The DRLs are low beams/no tails. pulling back on the stalk is "passing signal" : high beams/no tails as long as you hold it. Pushing the stalk forward is high beams on if the head lights are on.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:13 PM

Ok I rechecked the manual for my 2009, and as I said, now(after both headlight bulbs were replaced), the actions do exactly what the manual says(DRLs on when not in park, at reduced brightness). but, PREVIOUSLY, before the driver's side lowbeam went out, when I clicked the unlock button on the fob, all lights would come on, and he DRLs would stay lit from that time, through ignition and driving, until the engine was turned off and the lock button was pushed. I want it to do this again.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

If I remember correctly, DRL's are just high beams at reduced power. Same thing when you use the key fob---high beam filaments.
That's why most people don't notice when a low beam gets burned out.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Technical Moderator

The DRL's are not reduced brightness, even though some books say so.

I submit that maybe you were parked in a darkened area when you observed different behaviors. The ambient light has a lot to do with it.

There are some curious things that go on if the left low beam fuse is blown due to an oddity in the wiring.

If the Auto mode is on the headlights will stay on for 20-30 seconds after you close the door.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Nope, I park outside every day and night. And regardless of setting, when I ckicked the fob, the lights would come on and stay on until I clicked the lock button. Also, I noticed when my low beam was burned out.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM

Is there anything in the steering wheel info menu that would affect this behavior?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Technical Moderator

You have an Owner Manual for your model/year?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by GT55
Is there anything in the steering wheel info menu that would affect this behavior?
Yes, in the DIC there is a setting for Auto-lights off and another setting for auto-lights on. Also read on page 3-16 in our oners manual.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 AM

donbrew I do have the owners' manual. Also, thanks guppy I'll look at that.

Quick Reply: More headlight fun!